Husky 353 filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm running a 353 that I purchased last winter. My question is this, when I remove the air filter for cleaning, I notice specs of what looks like oil or something on the inside. Does anyone have the same problem? Is this something I should be worried about? Also a cleaning question. Do any of you guys wash your filters in gas or soap and water? The manual says to remove and tap or brush filter to clean, and also if you want to more throughly clean wash in water and detergent. Just not sure how filter would hold up? Sorry to be so long winded , this is my first good saw I've owned.
Thanks,:confused:

I'm running a 353 that I purchased last winter. My question is this, when I remove the air filter for cleaning, I notice specs of what looks like oil or something on the inside. Does anyone have the same problem? Is this something I should be worried about? Also a cleaning question. Do any of you guys wash your filters in gas or soap and water? The manual says to remove and tap or brush filter to clean, and also if you want to more throughly clean wash in water and detergent. Just not sure how filter would hold up? Sorry to be so long winded , this is my first good saw I've owned.
oil is normal.i use dish soap and water.

I also run a 353 and i have noticed saw dust sneaking past the air filter when i was cutting some really dry hickory dont know if going threw the filter mesh or where it mates to carb . I just put a thin layer of grease around where it mates to carb and hopefully that will cure the problem. I have cut probably 10 cord this year between the 353 and 2159 and i have just been using the blow gun on the filters so far .

Thanks for the quick replies! I've cut around 8 cord with it. It's good to know that the oil specs I see are normal...What kind of chain are you guys running? I'm using 95vp\H30 and have had good luck with it. Country boy , have you found allot of saw dust inside the filter?

Thanks for the quick replies! I've cut around 8 cord with it. It's good to know that the oil specs I see are normal...What kind of chain are you guys running? I'm using 95vp\H30 and have had good luck with it. Country boy , have you found allot of saw dust inside the filter?

That chain is about perfect on the 353, and a lot of smaller saws, at least in hardwood.
In soft wood, I would try something more agressive, like Oregon LP or Stihl RS/RSC.

I run my filters in the dishwasher whem they get more dirty than I like (after knocking and brushing) - very efficient!

Last edited:

Hello Bdog I have seen it on the inside of the filter and insde carb not a large amount but it is noticable i havent checked it here recently to see if the thin coat of grease around the base helped or not went out and cut some really dry oak last night that should of been a really good test for it . I have only had this 353 for a month or two know and wow is this thing really coming to life . I thought it was kind of a pooch when i first got it but the more wood i put to it the better it runs. I do want to get rid of that catyalitic muffler (what a joke) get way to hot melting plastic on the top cover.

My 353 and 372 filter perfectly, nothing gets past the filters. I can't say the same is true for the filters on my Dolmars or my Stihl. I'm not saying they let rocks in, they just don't filter as well as my Huskys.

My 353 and 372 filter perfectly, nothing gets past the filters. I can't say the same is true for the filters on my Dolmars or my Stihl. I'm not saying they let rocks in, they just don't filter as well as my Huskys.

That is my observation, too - and the filters stay cleaner on the outside as well.

I am not complaining about the filters on the 361 and 5100 though, they work well enough.....:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back