Husky 359 Crank stuffers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armosh

Functioning Idiot
Reaction score
I'm still very much a novice to chainsaws, learned a lot from you guys on here so far. I have a Husky 359 that I popped the top end off and I swear it has crank stuffers. Did Husqvarna ever make them like this? I thought only the 357xp had them. When I get a chance I'll try to get a picture. Is it possible someone added them? And if so, what would be the benefit?

359 normally does not have them, I did put a ported 359 top end on a 357 lower & it does get rite along, I don't know if my amature porting got lucky or the crank stuffers did it or both.

I have another 359. a 357 & a 562, but this one takes their lunch money.

If you did not buy the saw from new- entirely possible it was made from parts, or someone rebuilt a 357 on 359 cases giving you the 357 crank with 359 model tag, 359 recoil decals etc.
But from the factory- the 359 did not have crank stuffers.

If you did not buy the saw from new- entirely possible it was made from parts, or someone rebuilt a 357 on 359 cases giving you the 357 crank with 359 model tag, 359 recoil decals etc.
But from the factory- the 359 did not have crank stuffers.
If I remember right the guy I bought it from said he got it used. I was not expecting it to have a 357 bottom end. Kind of neat. I'm considering doing a base gasket delete and a ported muffler too. Should be a nice saw, all in all.

They are essentially the same saws save the 357 had crank stuffers, closed transfers and slightly less displacement then the 359. The stuffers take up crankcase volume, could be good or bad depending on your thoughts of 2 stroke operation. It supposed to increase pumping efficiency, a bugger piston in the same bottom end would do the same thing. Some guys would rather have the higher case volume and in other 2 stroke applications have even gone ad far as adding case volume via machining or spacing Reed blocks out. Meh. Personal preference. I've always favored a 359 over a 357, but I'd take either. One of the best underrated fire wood saws made. I keep my ported 359 around as a back up saw.

Hey guys question for ya. My 359 has "messed up" 2 different clutches in as many days. Very short usage results in a spring dropping down and the chain just spins away. Only 2 springs will stay in place and 1 rattles out somehow. On 2 different clutches. My question is what do you think could cause this? Bent crank? Seems quite strange that a brand new clutch out of the package has a spring fail in a half hour. And I got about 4 years out of the previous clutch and yesterday it puked. Replaced last night and used it for a minute this morning and same thing happened. Spring came undone and 2 springs just allow the chain to spin away.

Latest posts

Back