Need help on saw decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like I’ve made yet one more marital mistake. I showed this string of messages concerning the need for two saws to my wife thinki

husky was something like $730 list but 15% mfg discount brought it down to $586. Echo was $509 list but didn’t have a discount.
How handy are you with a wrench? Since you're willing to tackle the repair yourself, I'm guessing you're at least fair to midland. If so, I'd look at something from Farmertech for a 2nd saw, especially if your plan is to run your current saw most of the time. If you go that route, you're going to spend around $300 on the saw (give or take $50 depending on the exact model), and another $50 to $75 on replacement OEM parts from your local Stihl/Husquvarna dealer before you ever even start the saw. After that, you'll have a pretty good saw for a fraction of the price of a new OEM saw. Also, if you go this route, buy from US Stock. The initial cost is higher but the shipping is free and that more than offsets the cost difference. Plus, it will arrive in a couple of days instead of taking the slow boat from china, literally. You can also get them domestically from bluesaws.com and a few other locations. I've been running their G660 for a year now and have about 10 gal of fuel through it, and I'm totally satisfied with it. A friend of mine just got a G444 from them and loves it.

Regardless of the brand, let the wife know that this will help you get your work done faster so that you can spend more time doing things with her. ;)

100% rebuild your 359, but get the 550 to get you through till after its done. Every time I rush a fix to get back in the game I end up doing it again shortly after... I put a new top end on my 357 and got a well known working condition carb from a member on here and had my saw running beautifully in short order, its not all that tough. My 357(359) is the saw that gets loaded in the truck FIRST every time im going cutting. Love it

How handy are you with a wrench? Since you're willing to tackle the repair yourself, I'm guessing you're at least fair to midland. If so, I'd look at something from Farmertech for a 2nd saw, especially if your plan is to run your current saw most of the time. If you go that route, you're going to spend around $300 on the saw (give or take $50 depending on the exact model), and another $50 to $75 on replacement OEM parts from your local Stihl/Husquvarna dealer before you ever even start the saw. After that, you'll have a pretty good saw for a fraction of the price of a new OEM saw. Also, if you go this route, buy from US Stock. The initial cost is higher but the shipping is free and that more than offsets the cost difference. Plus, it will arrive in a couple of days instead of taking the slow boat from china, literally. You can also get them domestically from bluesaws.com and a few other locations. I've been running their G660 for a year now and have about 10 gal of fuel through it, and I'm totally satisfied with it. A friend of mine just got a G444 from them and loves it.

Regardless of the brand, let the wife know that this will help you get your work done faster so that you can spend more time doing things with her. I

Regardless of the brand, let the wife know that this will help you get your work done faster so that you can spend more time doing things with her. ;)
My iPad has been reloading this site before I finish replying to messages. I didn’t realize it also automatically sent the message “as is” when that happens. That’s why my message above was truncated. What I meant to tell you is that I showed the string of messages to my wife thinking she’d find them funny. Instead, she just said “Hmmm, a new horse” in a thoughtful and sort of scary way and then added “you are right, those are smart people on that forum but I still have a horse to train first before thinking about another one”. She always seems to be one step ahead of me on these discussions. She is actually fine with me building up the number of saws in the garage.

I appreciate the Farmertech recommendation. I just bought the 550xt saw a couple days ago but think I’m going to have to get a bigger brush cutter soon so will keep them in mind.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I need to make a decision on whether to rebuild my Husqvarna 359 purchased in 2001 or replace it with an Echo 501P or Husky 550XT ($75 more than the echo). I do not have much experience working on chainsaws but I'm not afraid to take on a rebuild if I have a good set of instructions and a good chance that it will turn out. Any thoughts on what I should do?
I’d do a 261 (stihl) before either of those options.

Back