Best new "medium duty" saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut 1 1/2 - 2 cords of Ash today alongside the neighbor who is giving us the wood. He was cutting with a MS362. The Stihl cut well & started easily cold & hot. We didn't do time trials but my CS620P held it's own! I'd be curious to see how a 400 does.
Faster then both. If your even in my area you're welcome to run my 400.

I vote for you go try out the saws you have been recommended. I am a Stihl guy. Have modded saws though, and my 362cm is a screaming demon of a saw. Keep chains super sharp. I get a lot of bigger hardwood and have a modded 660 for that stuff.
You cant go wrong with a Husky 372, Stihl 400, or an Echo 620p, as having a dealership within reach is a factor for purchase. Even us guys in the lower 48 have trouble getting parts and service when needed. Stay tuned to this site for incredible amounts of info... Oh and wear the damned chaps.

On my level which all of you are likely above because I don't live in tree country buy the husqvarna 550 mark two is a huge saw compared to what anyone has that I have been around. I agree totally that the pro level saws from which ever company are certainly worth more but everyone doesn't need that level but if you have enough and do t mind spending a bit extra I am sure you will be happy with your results. I went with a 550 and a 395 for the big end of the scale and really nothing I cannot do with them. Likely the 372/572 was likely a better choice but what is done is done. Just not enough really big trees in the urban forest.

Well I bought my ms362 (CARB) before there was a ms 400 even made but I probably would have bought a ms400 over the 362 as a mater of fact I almost bought the ms391 but after handling them I decided the 362 was the better feeling saw for me. I like my ms362 and it cuts very nice. Mine took 10 to 15 tanks of gas through it to open up and run well but it finally opened up and it will pull me into the wood. I have a buddy with a 462 sure it's faster but no so much I can justify buying a 462. Can't figure a ms400 too be that much faster than my 362 I'm sure it is but how much. Now stepping up to my other friends clone 660 now that thing runs and runs well and in a 28 inch pin oak log mine 362 was just past the halfway point when that 660 finished now that is some speed. But I can run the 362 all day he get a couple tanks in on that 660 and he has to sit out a while. I won't talk about my 880 I'm lucky to last 1 whole tank before I'm finished for almost the whole day...lol.

If you don't mind the weight put a 24 inch bar on a 395. Basically a go to saw on the west coast. Lots of service available way more power than you need for a 24 inch bar simple and they run good. Buy once cry once.

Regards

250 is truly a POS. Almost impossible to start. Runs well "if" it starts. I regret buying one.
My 250 is probably 25 to 30 years old some days it starts some days it don't. The last 3 years it spends more time on the bench. The time has come to replace it can't decide what to get.

My ms250 on its first start up for the day usually takes 6 to 7 pulls after that usually 1. My 362 usually starts up in 1 to 3 pulls then first pull the rest of the day. My step dad has an old 025 I'm not sure how old it is but it acts weird at startup haven't really diagnosed it but I believe it is the carb. It doesn't want to idle and the rpms rev up too high but after you get it warm about 15 minutes later it runs just fine. I usually use his ms311 if I'm over there and they need wood. That ms311 is about 10 years old and they use 6 to 10 cords in the boiler. So as far as medium duty saws go you have choices from a ms311/391/362/400 all sthil. Husqvarnas I'd say any of the 60cc plus saws and echo's 60cc saws I don't believe anyone of them are bad. The pro series should be better than the farm and ranch saws but I mean I've gotten 10 years with no problems from a pl3314 until about a month ago and all it needs is a carb. And that's considered a low grade home owner saw. It has cut close to 30 to 40 cords of wood and I've milled with it 10 in diameter pine 10 feet long.( I did have to run it on 40:1 and retune 50:1 it had a funny smell too it and the piston had some reddish-brown scorch marks on it probably the piston burning but 40:1 fixed that.)

Back