Best new "medium duty" saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe hos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum.

Long story short, I've got about a decade of experience using "the mans" saws and other light equipment for work and never really had to worry about purchasing my own equipment till now.

Recently, my personal Husqvarna 262 w/24" bar has been diagnosed dead. No, imo it isn't worth rebuilding.

I prefer commercial grade equipment as it tends to be more durable and repairable, I've now spent 4 hours nonstop reading reviews for husqvarnas and stihls which are everyone's favorites up here in Alaska. Ive owned a husqvarna rancher, my wife has a husqvarna 440, and i also have the aforementioned 262. I've been told by many people over the years that stihl is the highest quality, but have just read some horrific reviews, mostly about their Mtronic system. Same goes for husqvarna, lots of complaints about their smart tuning deelwobber system. The saws without the smart tuning systems seem to have fewer complaints but if it isn't a poorly designed air intake on the stihl 326 it's a $200 flywheel with a shearing keyway on the husqvarnas. Are they all junk now???

I probably will run the saw between 100 to 200hrs a year max and want between a 20 and 24" bar. I want a saw I can rely on and keep running for the next 20 years with good care. I'm not 100% wed to husqvarna or stihl, but we do have limited options up in the great north. echo and shindaiwa are available as well as box store junk.

Anybody have any preferences they think would fall in line?

Thanks in advance!

First, many people report excellent results with Mtronic saws. One may find reports of problems with any saw model (even the 262).

That said, if I were buying a new saw, to replace a 262xp, I would buy the non-Mtronic MS362. But, that is based simply on personal preference.

Roy

I'd keep an eye out at your local Home Depot Tool Rental for a Makita/Dolmar DCS6421 saw that they are surplussing.
Great saws, too bad they are exiting the market.
I prefer saws with non-electronic carburetors, but haven't had any issues with them either. The issue is service and your location should something go wrong.
Personally, if I lived in Alaska, I'd be shopping for a used Stihl 036. Standard carburetor,reliable, easy to work on when things do go South, and parts are readily available.

I think the fear of the M-tronic is pretty much unfounded on the newer stuff. It's a pretty simple technology and has been around for years. I own and use several m-tronics, they've all been reliable saws.

For Stihls, I'd be looking at either the 400, or the 362 for a slight cost savings. I own a 400 and have used 362s in the past, the 400 is in it's own class IMO regarding the power/weight ratio. For Huskies, the closest thing would be the 562xp...or the 555 which is a down-specced 562.

I know the Echo 620 is a popular choice online. Very reliable and affordable, but the weight specs look chunky compared to the Huskies or Stihls.

I think the fear of the M-tronic is pretty much unfounded on the newer stuff. It's a pretty simple technology and has been around for years. I own and use several m-tronics, they've all been reliable saws.

For Stihls, I'd be looking at either the 400, or the 362 for a slight cost savings. I own a 400 and have used 362s in the past, the 400 is in it's own class IMO regarding the power/weight ratio. For Huskies, the closest thing would be the 562xp...or the 555 which is a down-specced 562.

I know the Echo 620 is a popular choice online. Very reliable and affordable, but the weight specs look chunky compared to the Huskies or Stihls.
In your experience with the mtronic 400, and this may seem like a silly question, have you been able to run it for a few hours, and restart it with decent reliability? I'd guess I can run my wife's husqvarna 440 for about 30 to 45 when it'll run dry, ill refuel and dress the chain and it'll happily hop right back to action.

The complaints for the mtronics, and the auto tuned huskies were that they ran great till they were hot and shut off, alluding that the smart tuning systems were causing them to be out of tune for the purpose of restarting or idling.

First, many people report excellent results with Mtronic saws. One may find reports of problems with any saw model (even the 262).

That said, if I were buying a new saw, to replace a 262xp, I would buy the non-Mtronic MS362. But, that is based simply on personal preference.

Roy
The standard ms362 was where I was leaning towards looking at stihls, what about a dozen people were reporting though was that they felt the air filter was both undersized and was still letting material through in to the carburetor, do you own one?

I'd keep an eye out at your local Home Depot Tool Rental for a Makita/Dolmar DCS6421 saw that they are surplussing.
Great saws, too bad they are exiting the market.
I prefer saws with non-electronic carburetors, but haven't had any issues with them either. The issue is service and your location should something go wrong.
Personally, if I lived in Alaska, I'd be shopping for a used Stihl 036. Standard carburetor,reliable, easy to work on when things do go South, and parts are readily available.

I actually was just looking at a used stihl 362c and a used 034 pro on Facebook market place. My concern with used, in my experience, and it may be an up here thing, but people only sell equipment once it's totally worn out. That and the "alaska tax." People often sell things at 85% of the new msrp thinking what they have is gold, forgetting it needs work, isn't new and doesn't have a warranty!

Parts shipments often take more than a week so if something breaks, your down. This played in to my decision not to rebuild my 262. I know that if I spent the time, I could find all the parts I need, but anything that breaks in the future will take weeks if not months to rectify and it's not as simple as hopping on ereplacementparts and adding it to my cart.

I called our local saw shop and they couldn't even find a carb kit for it! Laziness on their part imo, but it's a reality.

I took a look at the makita, looks like the 6421 has been discontinued but their 7900 looks like a very good saw. We also have a makita dealer up here that's been decent to work with.

Probably just get a 562xp and be done with it
Do you have one? How long have you had it? I saw that the 562's have the dreaded auto tune and was avoiding anything they carry with it.

I'm partial to Huskies personally, but I try not to be brandist. While looking at the Huskies I was leaning towards the rancher as it seems to have a dearth of positive reviews, albeit some complaints about throwaway parts.

Do you have one? How long have you had it? I saw that the 562's have the dreaded auto tune and was avoiding anything they carry with it.

I'm partial to Huskies personally, but I try not to be brandist. While looking at the Huskies I was leaning towards the rancher as it seems to have a dearth of positive reviews, albeit some complaints about throwaway parts.

I don't have one...I'm just parroting my opinion from all the reading and "research" I have done. It's a never-ending game to try and find the best balance between power, weight, fuel efficiency, ergonomics, reliability, construction, repairability, parts availability, and COST. You want "Medium duty" "Commercial grade" that capably handles "20-24inch bar".... doesn't leave you with a whole lot of options... again, if it were me looking for a one-saw plan, and since I'm a loyal Husqvarna guy, for me the answers to your request would be 562xp on the low end or 365/372x-torq on the high end. Since you're used to the 262 you'll probably feel the weight of the 372 chassis which is why 562 comes into play.

The internet and social media is 80-90% full of typically negative or problematic reviews, expressions, and opinions. We all only ever hear from the very vocal minority of people complaining and expressing negative experiences. All the while there are 10x the amount of people who don't have a issue with any given tool or service. Keep things in perspective. On any given day I can fly upwards of 700 people. If there are 8 or 9 mean/negative tweets about my airline service does that mean that those few individuals speak for the other 691 people who didn't *****? Does that mean my airline is garbage and uncaring/unsafe because 8-9 people had a bad experience? Maybe those people did something incorrect, or maybe their expectations were wrong, or maybe they're just impossible to please people, or..or..or... I think you get my point.

Autotune (and I assume M-tronic too) is not dreaded, especially the newer versions and software, so if I were you I'd seriously consider ditching that close-minded mentality. There are redesigns within the last several years to deal with heat/hot-starting as well as filtration, so at least there is continual innovation being performed.

If you seriously don't want a electronic carb then get a non-AT version of the 562 or 572, or a original 372xp or 362.
357xp is a neat saw but I think a 24" bar is a real stretch, .... even 20" I find I have to be a lot mindful when cutting.... just doesn't have the torque of 60cc class.

Again these are all my unfounded opinions.... but just what I would do in your shoes. I recently rebuilt a 365x-torq and machined the transfer covers to be "372 spec", I was really impressed with that saw and I do regret having sold it...but I have a old 372 and it came down to differences in weight.

Fairbanks Alaska- is a saw ever going to get hot and refuse to hotstart up there Mtronic or not?

Get a good 372XP OE and be done with it.
Actually yes,

So I think we hold the record for the highest temperature difference in the nation ranging from -60 in the winter to 90f in the summer, it's still not the 100+ and humidity you see in the states, but it's certainly an issue.

Actually yes,

So I think we hold the record for the highest temperature difference in the nation ranging from -60 in the winter to 90f in the summer, it's still not the 100+ and humidity you see in the states, but it's certainly an issue.

I dont see nothing in the "States"- but I would still be looking for a nice 372 regardless of the weather.

372 or a 562 are my votes, my 2019 model 562 has been used in temps from 30-100f+ degrees and it has yet to give me any issues. I put the new style air filter on it and greased the seam, it doesn't leak and it performs really well. 372 is good for a non-computer saw, bit heavier but they're dead simple, reliable, and easy to get parts for.

I like the auto tune personally. All my saws have it.
Personally, I would go to my closest dealer and handle the Ones I was interested in.
How big do you need? Budget?

The standard ms362 was where I was leaning towards looking at stihls, what about a dozen people were reporting though was that they felt the air filter was both undersized and was still letting material through in to the carburetor, do you own one?

I don't own one, but ran a MS362CM quite a bit at work. All live hardwood cutting. I had no issues with the saw...regarding filtration or anything else. I found it to be excellent in all respects...it was pretty new, however, when I was running it.

I really like the MS441 style air filter...I wish my personal saws all had them. But, that doesn't mean the other Stihl filters are not reasonable.

I have not seen 100's of dead saws....but, of all the dead saws I have opened up, none were killed by air filtration issues. Just sayin'.

Roy

I'd buy an echo 590, it's a good saw and not a lot of money or husky 562 if you have the cash.
The auto tunes work fine now, they had issues the first year they came out but those have been sorted out for years now. Like most things on the interweb you only hear about the bad bits.
The only glitch with the new huskys is you have to use fast idle to start them hot and the dealer doesnt bother telling people this when they buy them.

I bought a 460 rancher as a " backup saw".. Specifically cause of the price.. While it does not get a ton of hours, I like it and would recommend it. Sure there are better, more expensive.... I have nothing bad to say about it.. Even wearing a 24"...... Definitely performs better with a 20". Hardest part of your decision is your budget.. All the saws mentioned previously are doggone good saws.. Your location forces you to gaze into the crystal ball for the future of said saw.. Which is a guess with all of them..

Hi all, new to the forum.

Long story short, I've got about a decade of experience using "the mans" saws and other light equipment for work and never really had to worry about purchasing my own equipment till now.

Recently, my personal Husqvarna 262 w/24" bar has been diagnosed dead. No, imo it isn't worth rebuilding.

I prefer commercial grade equipment as it tends to be more durable and repairable, I've now spent 4 hours nonstop reading reviews for husqvarnas and stihls which are everyone's favorites up here in Alaska. Ive owned a husqvarna rancher, my wife has a husqvarna 440, and i also have the aforementioned 262. I've been told by many people over the years that stihl is the highest quality, but have just read some horrific reviews, mostly about their Mtronic system. Same goes for husqvarna, lots of complaints about their smart tuning deelwobber system. The saws without the smart tuning systems seem to have fewer complaints but if it isn't a poorly designed air intake on the stihl 326 it's a $200 flywheel with a shearing keyway on the husqvarnas. Are they all junk now???

I probably will run the saw between 100 to 200hrs a year max and want between a 20 and 24" bar. I want a saw I can rely on and keep running for the next 20 years with good care. I'm not 100% wed to husqvarna or stihl, but we do have limited options up in the great north. echo and shindaiwa are available as well as box store junk.

Anybody have any preferences they think would fall in line?

Thanks in advance!
The 261 with the MANUAL carburetor is the best. The 250 is also GREAT.

Latest posts

Back