Husky 365 XT Replace Piston or Run It?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 365 XT off of CL for $175.

I noticed it had very light scoring on the piston when I pulled the muffler. The saw feels like it has good compression and starts and runs just fine. Should I replace the piston and rings or run it until it starts giving me problems?

The reason I ask is I have never replaced a piston before so it would be uncharted territory for me.

Best pictures I could get.
ab0466b7b42a78b52082b30a068631eb.jpg

36e45114bf2eb8fcf42b7de9ad6727f3.jpg

e810900f6fd9407beaa7a29f087ae5f8.jpg

c69ce67625c7e3343e739402b65f204d.jpg

I don't have a compression tester unfortunately but it requires some grunt to pull. It starts, and idles fine. I have not put it in wood but it throttles up as it should. It is hard to see the scoring in the picture, there is one small score on the piston that is in the center of the picture. There is as light brush like scoring on the surface of the machining marks as well.

I don't have a compression tester unfortunately but it requires some grunt to pull. It starts, and idles fine. I have not put it in wood but it throttles up as it should. It is hard to see the scoring in the picture, there is one small score on the piston that is in the center of the picture. There is as light brush like scoring on the surface of the machining marks as well.
I would run it I really dont see much there at all.

I'd run it.. I have a few saws with far worse pistons and they're going strong.. If making a saw for a customer I'd replace it just because it would cover my arse on warranty, but I think it can run fine for a long time yet.

I think I see what you're talking about dead center of the ex port. I'd move the piston down a bit and inspect the rings for a gouge in the same area. And inspect the ring grooves for a spot that might pinch the ring and prevent them (or it) from floating.

Looks like I'm going to run the snot out of it. I need to pick up a 20" and 24" bar for it and resuscitate the chain. What does everyone like for bar/chain in those sizes? I like the price of the woodland pro on baileys but I don't know about the quality.

I figured it was. He never text me back after I got alerted to the ad.

That chain is carlton. Left coast supplies has 20" and 24" loops on sale for a killer price and free shipping right now.

Which rim sprocket should I run with 72 lgx? 3/8 - 7 or 3/8 -8 small or large spline? I cant really make sense of what the oregon website is bringing up versus what i am seeing on left coast supply.

Back