husky 385 muff removal help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1953greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
can anyone enlighten me as to how to remove the muff on a 385. the 4 outside screws are removed and it still wont come apart. there appears to be 2 screws inside the exhaust ports but i cant see them or fit/feel them w/ any tool. i know there is a trick to everything. what am i missing??

thanks in advance and yes i checked the search

good day 1953greg

What appears to be two exhaust ports are the recesses for the bolts that mount it to the exhaust port of the cyl. The hex wrench you need is the next size up from the ones you already removed.
John

thanks gypo

isnt it amazing how easy something is when one knows what he is doing???? had it off in one minute!!
now does the muff come apart or do i work only from the outside? are there any "baffles" to remove on the inside? do i need to close the puney exhaust port on the top after dual porting the muff?
what can i expect by taking 1 mm off the bottom of intake port and 1mm off top exhaust port for a woods saw?

this is my first husky mod and any comments wood b appreciated.

thanks

good day 1953greg

:biggrinbounce2:

Wait until you put it back together. You'll think: "now how did that heat deflector thingy go on again and on which side was that black washer"?

I find I get the best and faster fit if I put the muffler, deflector, gasket and bolts together as a unit first with the bolts seated thru all pieces. Then with the top cover off I gently mate the two bolts to the holes they live in with the wrench already seated in one of the bolts with the saw sitting in its natural position.
Using the figures you described are very conservation and you will notice a significant gain. It's a good starting piont, because as you become more accomplished you can go back in there and add some more if you wish.
It's boatloads of fun to make a worksaw run faster and use it in the woods and at GTG's. So good luck and let us know how things turn out as you move along with your 385.
John

update

"So good luck and let us know how things turn out as you move along with your 385."
John

well guys, i finally got the proverbally WOW!!! [/SIZE][SIZE="2" this 385 rips!!!!

[SIZE="2"] here is some times in 17" black cherry: stock as received 8.8 sec, sharpened chain 7.7 sec. 1mm off bottom of intake and 1mm off top of open up exhaust and added one .5" round exhaust port rpm13.2k 5.2 sec!! thats a whopping 41% decrease!! 32% for the mods alone!! the saw belongs to my cousin who logs for a living (he is laid up from a non logging accident) and i told him i had good news and bad news for him. good news-it rips, bad-he aint getting it back! imagine his reactions when he lays it to the wood. is this bout what you have experienced? i might have to take the bb460 back to the bench to find another .4 sec:confused:

for reference the 390 ran 11.2, bb460 5.5 w/ like mods, the whs 460 4.9.

good day 1953greg[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back