Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Feller

J &J Tree Service
Reaction score
Well I went and done it! I bit the bullet a bought a 390xp with a full wrap handle!! Should be here next week!! Can anyone tell me the history of these saws? I have heard they are like an updated 288xp which I love. Anything I need to know about them??
thanks.

Attachments

• E9AFAC25-8F0F-4776-B79C-7E0FAB4D739B.jpeg
    E9AFAC25-8F0F-4776-B79C-7E0FAB4D739B.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 26
  • B4972760-7ED1-422C-8619-2711B80E9FB4.jpeg
    B4972760-7ED1-422C-8619-2711B80E9FB4.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 24
Good saws, I like mine a lot. Have one basically dedicated to milling & a couple of 385’s (same saw, 1mm smaller cylinder & piston). There was an updated crank at one point which yours should have, other than that I'm not aware of much (other than cosmetic stuff) that's changed.
It will probably come with a blue coil (limited). The black coils (unlimited) are easier to tune, especially if you don't have a tach.
Like most saws they appreciate a good muffler mod. One of my 385's has a MM, gasket delete & mild port & it's an absolute ripper... hangs with my mates 660 any day of the week.

Good saws, I like mine a lot. Have one basically dedicated to milling & a couple of 385’s (same saw, 1mm smaller cylinder & piston). There was an updated crank at one point which yours should have, other than that I'm not aware of much (other than cosmetic stuff) that's changed.
It will probably come with a blue coil (limited). The black coils (unlimited) are easier to tune, especially if you don't have a tach.
Like most saws they appreciate a good muffler mod. One of my 385's has a MM, gasket delete & mild port & it's an absolute ripper... hangs with my mates 660 any day of the week.
Youll love it! As someone who owns 390xps and 660s, my 390s will outcut a 660.

Well I got the saw today! Love it! I’m running a 30” full comp on it. When I had this bar on my 7900 I had to run the oiler wide open. Do I need to run the 390 oiler wide open or will one notch back be fine?? I know more oil is better than too little!

I run mine full open on my 36" bar, well or the 24" bar. Never heard of more oil being a bad thing. They are great saws. Have yet to mod mine. Going strong since 2014. Been used for felling and milling on occasion. Never had an issue tuning it with a blue coil on it.

Thinking of running a Stihl bar on the 390. I have the adapter. Do I have to do anything special for the oil hole in the bar?

Well I got the saw today! Love it! I’m running a 30” full comp on it. When I had this bar on my 7900 I had to run the oiler wide open. Do I need to run the 390 oiler wide open or will one notch back be fine?? I know more oil is better than too little!
If falling only, with a 32" bar the initial or second oiler position works great. If the wood is dead or sappy, 2nd position. Bucking or running a longer bar is generally wide open or one turn under wide open.

My experience. 390's are awesome machines!

Back