Husky 445 X-Torx Problem child

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna1985

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently received a Husqvarna 445 X-Torx from a co-worker. Not my top choice of saw as I more into the older stuff, but I figured id give it a whirl. Of course its a Lowes saw which makes it even worse.

My co-worker complained that the saw always "started hard" even when it was new, and that when he went to go use it this year he could not get it to run correctly, the saw has had very little use and it literally still looks brand new, I mean the bar doesn't even have a scratch on it.

I got the saw, put fresh non-ethanol fuel in it, and got it to start and idle, but as soon as any throttle is applied the saw bogs and dies. I have performed the following:

New fuel filter(one in it was fine but an easy troubleshooting step)
new plug
air filter is perfect
fuel line is 100% unobstructed, I pulled fuel through it using a hand vacuum pump
cleaned carburetor twice now, all the ports seem unobstructed, tried resetting and adjusting H & L screws with no change
compression is 125psi
no visual defects in the intake boot
muffler has no obstructions

A new carb is 35$(which I don't think it needs but it could be potentially bad part)
My next step is trying to hunt down an air leak, I see this saw has a lot of "transfer ports" on the side of the cylinder, just wondering if anyone has had any similar problems with these saws or places to look

Are the limiters removed from carb? If adjusting h and l didn't do anything to the tune, I would be cleaning the carb or changing carb diaghrams. Was it stored with gas in it? I agree 125 sounds low, but should be enough to run. Looking at the piston would still be a good idea.

Thanks for the reply's guys!
I ordered a new Genuine carburetor yesterday just to rule it out,
I guess 125 does sound low, just seems weird, ill try to post some pics of this thing later, but it seriously looks like it just came off the display rack @ Lowes, I mean, I could probably bring it back to Lowes, say i never even used it and return it saying I don't have my recite, and they would fall for it...Im not that type of person, im sure i'll be able to find the end to this

Thanks for the reply's guys!
I ordered a new Genuine carburetor yesterday just to rule it out,
I guess 125 does sound low, just seems weird, ill try to post some pics of this thing later, but it seriously looks like it just came off the display rack @ Lowes, I mean, I could probably bring it back to Lowes, say i never even used it and return it saying I don't have my recite, and they would fall for it...Im not that type of person, im sure i'll be able to find the end to this
Pull the muffler, 125 psi on a new saw is way low.

Back