Husky 450 overhaul problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Received this saw with scored piston and cylinder and no spark. Replaced cyl, piston (chicom) and ring (caber). Replaced coil. Replaced carb.
Now I have good compression and spark, but can’t even get a pop with carb cleaner or starter fluid let alone good fuel. Tried multiple spark plugs.
I am now thinking timing off. Anyway to check without tear down to look for a bad flywheel key?? Any other ideas. I can’t give up now. Thanks ahead of time.

With piston at TDC magnets should be just past the coil legs (to get a good idea check on a working saw if you can). Anything drasticly different & flywheel is probably out of whack.
OEM coil?

Ok thanks I’ll take a look.
I checked 3 of my saws that run. One was exactly as you described. The other two had the magnets centered right under the two legs of the ignition. The Husky had the first coil leg positioned just past the first magnet. So do you think the Husky is firing late as it must rotate about 10degrees before it gets to the desired position you describe???

I'd expect to see a small amount of variation between different saws as manufacturers will have differing coil electronics & design. If the Husky is noticeably different I'd be investigating further... ie, pull the flywheel to see if the key is sheered off

I'd expect to see a small amount of variation between different saws as manufacturers will have differing coil electronics & design. If the Husky is noticeably different I'd be investigating further... ie, pull the flywheel to see if the key is sheered off
Pulled the flywheel. It looked good. Have after market coil (likelychicom) I have a spark although it looks weak. Maybe this could be the issue. Thinking back I recall a couple weak late pops with starter fluid or carb cleaner. What gives now ??

Received this saw with scored piston and cylinder and no spark. Replaced cyl, piston (chicom) and ring (caber). Replaced coil. Replaced carb.

Did you do a vac/pressure test before pulling it apart?

Why did you replace the coil and carb? Might want to swap those parts back in, and test it.

Last, I would suggest a compression, vac, and pressure test.

Roy

Did you do a vac/pressure test before pulling it apart?

Why did you replace the coil and carb? Might want to swap those parts back in, and test it.

Last, I would suggest a compression, vac, and pressure test.

Roy
Roy,

I did not test except compression It was about 100 on my gauge which inherently reads low. It takes a lot to pull it over. Original coil gave no spark. The chicom replacement gave weak and erratic spark. Next is to hunt down a good OEM coil.

Roy,

I did not test except compression It was about 100 on my gauge which inherently reads low. It takes a lot to pull it over. Original coil gave no spark. The chicom replacement gave weak and erratic spark. Next is to hunt down a good OEM coil.
I’ll have to get my mighty vac out and struggle with that.

Latest posts

Back