Echo cs-600 starting/running problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnutz6383

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Little background, I picked this lightly used CS-600 on the cheap a few months ago. Previous owner said he had troubles starting it, put a new cylinder and piston In it but still couldn't start it and was giving up on it. I own a 590 already so for $60, at worst I saw this as at least a way to get some spare parts for mine.

Got around to working on it yesterday. Could not get it started at all. It passed a pressure and vacuum tests, pulled 150+ psi of compression, carb passed a pressure test, all fuel and vent lines passed, I had spark with the plug pulled and grounded to the cylinder.

I could get it to pop off and run very briefly several times but not consistently, even if the carb settings were untouched. It seemed to pop off and attempted to run better with the muffler deflector off, and I noticed fuel was present in the muffler, so I figured L was too rich, but even when completely leaned out it still had problems starting and when it did, it would only rev sky high and die. I tried the initial factory carb settings per the service manual but that didn't work either.

It had me chasing my tail so at one point I tested the primary coil resistance thinking it may be that, came back at 2.78 kOhm. Service manual states a range of 1.7-2.2 kOhm, but I still had spark so I wasn't sure of my test results.

IMG20230819124643.jpg
Just in case I already ordered a replacement coil.

Anyone have any experience with the Echo 590/600 and starting issues? Any suggestions?

590/600 carbs are notorious for the H check valve failing and flooding the saw. Pound it out and replace it with a non-check for about $8. Do a search and you'll kick up a couple threads with the process/part number. Yes, I've experienced this, and fixed it on a 590 and a 600.
Just make sure you tune H properly (not per manuals setting) after doing this or you'll burn it up.

Just make sure you tune H properly (not per manuals setting) after doing this or you'll burn it up.
You know, I thought it may be that check valve. Just so happens I have one sitting around that I was going to put into my 590.

As for your comment above, could you elaborate? Don't use the initial carb settings (H-¾ turns out, L-2 turns out)?

I typically use a tach to get as close as I can to the RPM ranges the manual calls for.

I could get it to pop off and run very briefly several times but not consistently, even if the carb settings were untouched. It seemed to pop off and attempted to run better with the muffler deflector off, and I noticed fuel was present in the muffler, so I figured L was too rich, but even when completely leaned out it still had problems starting and when it did, it would only rev sky high and die. I tried the initial factory carb settings per the service manual but that didn't work either.
If it runs you don't need an ignition coil...

Does the 590 run? If so, swap carbs and see if that works.
I'll try that next. In the meantime, I put the 600 carb in an ultrasonic, figure it can't hurt at this point. But riddle me this, after I took the carb off I pulled the starter rope a few times, damn thing burps, several times. Carb on, no burp. Carb off, burp. Just residual fuel?

I have a question about the impulse line. I noticed it just freely floats behind the clutch cover, is that how it's supposed to be? Only used to taking apart an old Jonsered that has an internal pulse.

Latest posts

Back