Husky 55 Purchase, or ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony- Any input on how the 55R compares to the 353? They are very similar in power, with a slight weight advantage going to the 353. The 353 is about $50 more, which I don't mind paying for some additional convenience features like the decompression valve. But are there any disadvantages to the 353 vs. the 55?

Brad

dB level

Originally posted by Weatherby
Im curious as to why your so worried about how loud the saw is. Dont want the saw to wake up someone while your stealing their timber? Just kidding. Never seen anyone have such an emphasis on noise level for choosing a saw.

It's really not that big an issue. I have 100's of acres behind me where I'm really not supposed to be "logging". Nobody cares unless they're annoyed by the noise.

More from a curiosity standpoint, it would be interesting to know how/why the 55R is quieter. Since it does suffer a bit in performance compared to the 353, I'm guessing it does have a more restrictive exhaust. It would be nice to have a "Supertrapp" type exhaust option, where I could add exhaust plates if I needed to operate in stealth mode. :)

Brad

Brad, I wouldn't hesitate to but a 55R, it is a proven design that should give years of service. The 353 is a new model this year, so the jury is still out on that one. It replaces the 351(which I have). The 353 has the latest design features like better anti-vibe, snap off top cover, lighter weight, etc. One thing to consider is that the 55R comes with a 3/8 chain and the 353 has .325 if that's a factor to you. I don't think the difference in decibel levels would be even detectable by a man's ear.

3/8 chain has a larger cutter and pulls more of a plug. keep your bar to 16 or 18" and you should be able to spin either chain. IMO the decomp valve is unnessessary on this size saw. I don't use mine on my 357.

<b>DPDISXR4Ti</b>:

Gotta wonder about the handle.&nbsp; I think I see something about a foreign Mercury there...

The difference between 3/8 and .325 is basically that the first will have fewer cutters in a given loop and they will travel at a slightly faster pace.&nbsp; Picture a circle the size of the engine stroke and then outside that another the size of the rivets in the chain when wrapped around a seven tooth sprocket.&nbsp; A 3/8 circle will be slightly bigger than a .325 circle (hence the greater speed of the chain), but the .325 circle has a greater mechanical advantage against it from the crank circle than does the 3/8, so more torque is available to pull the .325 chain.&nbsp; The .325 chain will also, all things being equal, stay sharp longer because it has more cutters doing the same work.&nbsp; It's also often smoother in use than 3/8.&nbsp; Sometimes faster as well.

The only real factor though is interchangeability with other equipment.&nbsp; If that's not a concern at all, then on a smaller saw like the 55 the .325 would be the better choice.&nbsp; You might also have the option of running an 8 tooth drive sprocket, which is almost exactly the same pitch diameter (chain around sprocket circle from above) as the 7 tooth 3/8, if the saw can pull it successfully with the greater "toothiness" of the chain.

Some makes of .325 chain produce a narrower cut than their equivalent 3/8, too, which would also go toward an increase cutting speed.

<b>Ryan</b>:

10 decibels greater volume is perceived as being twice as loud, so I don't think it would take an engineer to note the difference.

Glen

[edited: modified "circle" relationships]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 55 rancher here, with a 20" bar. 4 yrs old, and has never given me a problem yet.

Originally posted by glens
<b>DPDISXR4Ti</b>:

Gotta wonder about the handle.&nbsp; I think I see something about a foreign Mercury there...

Foreign Mercury????? :confused:

Thanks for the education on the chains.

Brad

I have been trying to figure out the handle too...lol...

I have a 55 rancher that has been in the back of all of our trucks for years....just to make sure I don't have to turn around when a tree is across the road...never failed me yet...

The 353/2152 seems like it should be good...Russ is sending me one and I will build a 2152 with his 353....just to note any differences...

glens, I can see that you are very clearly just one of those nitpicky people!!!:mad: yes it will be a little louder but who gives a S@#$%#???!!! thats a poor reason for chosing a saw. You seem to TRY to contradict every little thing that some one says, whats your problem???:mad:

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
glens, I can see that you are very clearly just one of those nitpicky people!!!:mad: yes it will be a little louder but who gives a S@#$%#???!!! thats a poor reason for chosing a saw. You seem to TRY to contradict every little thing that some one says, whats your problem???:mad:

Uhhh Ryan, I think you mis-read Glen's post. He was indicating that it WOULD be a noticeable difference!

Brad

Glens, why such an overly complicated explanation of chain sizes? A simple question deserves a simple answer. Also, the difference between those saws is 5 db, not 10. I doubt anyone could notice a difference, but I'm sure you will tell us, sexual intellectual that you are.

Originally posted by Dennis
I have been trying to figure out the handle too...lol...

The 353/2152 seems like it should be good...Russ is sending me one and I will build a 2152 with his 353....just to note any differences...

2152? Is that a performance upgrade? Tell me more :)

I'm not sure I understand the question about the handle - do we thing this is a good or bad thing, or neither? :confused:

Brad

Brad...the 2152 is just the prettier version...RED....no differences from the 353 as far as I can tell so far.

Your Handle..." DPDISXR4Ti " Is what we were trying to figure out...lol...what does it mean? Nothing bad...just curious...

<b>Ryan</b>:

I'm sorry for upsetting you.&nbsp; I don't think the noise level should be a factor in a decision between saws.&nbsp; That's not what I was saying.

I didn't say what I'd said merely to contradict you.&nbsp; I perceived you had a mistaken understanding of the relationship of differing sound pressure levels.&nbsp; I actually know a little bit about that and thought you might enjoy knowing too.&nbsp; I certainly apologize for making that assumption.

In reference to your recent statement, I may be a bit too picky, but the difference between something that can barely be differentiated and something that's twice as noticeable isn't properly described by "nit".

<b>Dave</b>:

I don't think the explanation was overly complicated.&nbsp; I do think it was adequate for the "why" part of the question, don't you?&nbsp; I believe Ryan had used the value of 10 and that's what I was addressing.&nbsp; Again, I don't really care much about the SPL of a saw, and in fact the difference may just indicate a change of measurement methodology.&nbsp; I wouldn't know about that.

<b>Brad</b>:

Isn't Merkur a foreign Mercury?&nbsp; I don't think it's a bad thing at all, just a curious one.&nbsp; You must have a reason for coming up with something like that - care to share it with us?

On a side note, I just got a call from my the local shop that an item I'd asked them to order, just the next time they placed one with Stihl and not specially, is in.&nbsp; It's a pleasure getting served well for the pittance extra it costs.

Glen

Originally posted by Dennis
Your Handle..." DPDISXR4Ti " Is what we were trying to figure out...lol...what does it mean? Nothing bad...just curious...

<LOL> I thought you guys were talking about the handle on the saw!!!

DPDISXR4Ti = Dual-plug Distributor-less (Merkur) XR4Ti

To the best of my knowledge, it's the only one in the world, although I've inspired someone else to build one.

Brad

55R Vs. 353

Right from the Husky's mouth...

The 55R is still in production at this time but may not meet future EPA
restrictions. Both units have adjustable carburetors and the difference in
emissions is engine design, which has no effect on quality. The 55R is an
excellent, durable saw which is proven by its 13 years in production. The
353 is also an excellent choice, but has less vibration and also a
decompression valve, a feature the 55R lacks.

Quiet Saw

You might be barking up the wrong tree if you want a quiet saw. Bailey's have cross cut saws that would be quieter than that 55. I am not sure how many decibels quieter thouhg. Glens?

Don't you guys be picking on Glens; he usually has some basis in fact and a hide like an alligator! He could be good pickings but be careful, he's tricky.

Ship disturbor'

Frank

My new 353 has both high and low adjuster screws on the carb but with plastic limiters on each screw. I ground them off with a Dremel and the carb is now fully adjustable. Needed to richen the high speed mixture to accomodate the Walker muffler I bought already modified for $US55. Kept the old muffler just in case I have a warranty issue and need to bolt it back on.

Cool, I take it you're otherwise happy with your 353? What did you use to guide you on how to set the high speed mixture after the exhaust upgrade? Does Walker provide anything?

Thanks,

Brad

Back