Husky Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infomet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I gave my son a used Husky 254XP last winter.
He reported that it was "losing power and needed a tuneup" so I said I'd look at it. Today I got it out and tried to start it, with no luck at all. I primed it, choked it, and put in a new plug, all to no avail.

It has good spark and seemed in great shape when I bought it...from someone known to me.
On the bench I can turn it over easily by turning the flywheel, making me wonder about compression, but when pulling on the rope it feels fine.

But it never fires at all, even with gas in the cylinder.

I'm thinking it has sheared the key and skipped time, but it was running when put away! Tomorrow I'll measure the compression and take off the flywheel, but does anyone have any ideas otherwise?

Does the flywheel have a left handed thread?
Thanks,

Thanks Urbicide

WOW, I googled fairly hard for that thing before asking, but no luck.
Thanks for the help Urbi! It sure pays to know the right people.

Port Check

Well, I looked in the exhaust port...looks fine, but I can't tell if the piston is stuck.. Even if it were, it should at least fire now and then. That's why I'm suspicious of the timing. If I take it apart I'll put in a new ring.
Is it possible there is a stuck reed valve? I'm not sure if there's one in there or not...lots going on right now.

I can't tell if the piston is stuck.. Even if it were, it should at least fire now and then... Is it possible there is a stuck reed valve? I'm not sure if there's one in there or not.

If the piston was stuck, it would be stuck, simple as. If it's stuck it doesn't fire.

Your carb isn't a reed valve type. When you say you primed it and choked it, what exactly do you mean?

You've also said it doesn't fire even with fuel in the cylinder. Are you saying that you put some fuel directly into the cylinder then tried to start it, or just that there was fuel in the cylinder?

WoW! Thats some great information! I wonder if anyone can provide a link to a shop manual for the 357XP/359 model?.

Piston Stuck

Silly me...poor typing.
Yes, she wouldn't turn over well at all with a stuck piston! Of course I meant piston RING!

If you picked this saw up and cranked it, you'd think the compression was OK, I expect. It hasn't set unused more than a few weeks, so the ring shouldn't be stuck, in my experience.

Yes, I primed both the intake and the cylinder.
A few drops in the plug hole is my usual foolproof way to get something to fire in a couple of pulls, but this thing is completely dead, even though the spark will jump nearly 1/2 inch, thus my suspicion of timing problems.

Has anyone ever seen the key go out and the timing wander on a running saw?

If the piston/ring looks OK, Dump out the old fuel, take out the plug and pull the rope a couple of dozen times. Then go to the store, buy a new plug, oil mix and gas, come back and start over.
Definitely try this before performing exploratory surgery, you will quite possibly thank me later.

Thank you SawTroll, that's mighty nice of you! That's what I was looking for. And thanks to the others for the IPB that will surely be helpful too. I am gleaning so much information here! I can't wait to get my Husky back!

Back