Husky Ignition timing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is the ignition timing for huskys deg BTDC?

Anyone have the number on the top of thier head?

Is it different model to model?

Thanks

Brian

Wanna find out?
Score a line directly between the magnets on the rotor
Set to TDC

Make this circle about the same size as your rotor and print it out.
http://math.rice.edu/~pcmi/sphere/drg_txt.html

You can then cut out the circle and have lines to fold it in half. Place the bottom (fold) across the center of the drive shaft and the middle of the coil pick-ups.
Put a mark where your rotor mark is on the curved section of paper.

Then download this and put the paper up to the screen and get your measurement?

http://www.gold-software.com/ScreenProtractor-review20381.htm

Thanks bug, I was not sure at wich point on the magnet it triggered, I have a degree wheel so that part is covered.

Wish I knew if there was high RPM advance built into the ignition unit.

Wish I knew if there was high RPM advance built into the ignition unit.[/QUOTE]
You could use a timing light and check if there is difference between idle speed mark and lets say a 10000 rpm mark.

Thought had occured to me but I figgured the timming light would not work up over 10k, will have to check into it thanks. It will be a bit of a challenge though, may be a sprocket could be marked with TDC and then a degree gauge placed beside it.

timberwolf said:
Thought had occured to me but I figgured the timming light would not work up over 10k, will have to check into it thanks. It will be a bit of a challenge though, may be a sprocket could be marked with TDC and then a degree gauge placed beside it.

The sprocket won't work as it moves independent of the crank... Just start the saw then remove the starter cover screws and pop off the cover...

As for TDC, it's real hard to measure for angular rotation due to the large "dead spot" around TDC, even with a micrometer guage in the plug hole. You need to rotate forward to "TDC", make a mark, then rotate back wards to "TDC", make a mark. The answer is exactly half way between the two marks, which can be quite some distance apart - over an inch at the outside of the flywheel on a 036.

Right, sprocket would not work, but on an out board clutch it would be ok, did not like the idea of pulling off the rewind of a running saw, but I guess it could be done.

I do use a rocking back and forth, but I think I get a bit closer looking at the piston though the exhaust, the eye can detect very minute movment up and down, then once I have the dead spot where the crank turns a bit but piston stays nearly stll I take the middle of it.

I would imagine ignition timing is ideal for a stock saw on gas, but is it right for a modified saw with a couple k more RPM or differnt fuel?

Thanks for the ideas!
Brian

timberwolf said:
Thought had occured to me but I figgured the timming light would not work up over 10k, will have to check into it thanks. It will be a bit of a challenge though, may be a sprocket could be marked with TDC and then a degree gauge placed beside it.[/QUOTEFind your TDC and make mark on the cyl and flywheel .Then start the saw with the top cover removed.Let it idle and mark on the cyl,where the light is flashing.After ,rev her to more Rpm to see if the mark goes counterclokwise from the previous mark already on the cyl.You will know then if the advance is diff at different rpm.You dont have to remove the starter.

Back