Husky Stump Grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its like chain saw but with a type of stump cutter teeth. very slow. ok on very small stumps.

The ones I have seen are more like the Praxis - little 9 or 13 Honda powered push machines. My limited experience with these style, Not the Husky but others, is they won't do a whole lot. I've rented them for Red Tip bushes in confined areas, did the job, but a lot of work.

I'll never rent one again (this style not necessarily just the Husky,) I'll let someone else bust their butt.

I own a Husqvarna stump grinder, manufactured for Husqvarna by BlueBird. I got mine for a song at 3600 + free shipping and normal retail is about 4500 with another couple hundred for truck frieght. I have ground out stumps up to 40" with it. That large stump was a mullberry which is rather hard wood and it took about a little over an hour to complete. It will work you into shape no doubt and I would consider this grinder to be a starter unit for a niche market. Most stumpers in my area have larger units they cannot get into gated yards or flower beds. A new self propelled unit starts at $10k, my unit serves me well and soon I will step up to a 4 wheel propelled model

the snowmobile club I belong to has one, I think it is a 278xp with a carbide tipped blade. We use it on small stumps that may cause problems. Husky also offers a rayco super junior style machine, have rented similar machines and regreted it.

Bigstumps said:
The ones I have seen are more like the Praxis - little 9 or 13 Honda powered push machines. My limited experience with these style, Not the Husky but others, is they won't do a whole lot. I've rented them for Red Tip bushes in confined areas, did the job, but a lot of work.

I'll never rent one again (this style not necessarily just the Husky,) I'll let someone else bust their butt.

I just rented one this weekend. The dull teeth didn't help, I know, but even allowing for that I'd hate to have to make a living with one. Half a day to do two 10-12" pine stumps, and I didn't get all the roots I wanted to get. I finally said forget it with another dozen stumps left to go. Took it back and don't plan to touch one again.

Sunbelt near me has a Vermeer 252 that should do all I need in not much more time than I spent NOT getting just two stumps done.

The only good thing is that it is small.

Mark, Most people have difficulty believing that pine is one of the hardest stumps to grind. Dull teeth and pine are a horrible combo. I have a Rayco RG12 which, superficially at least is comparable to the Husky/Bluebird. I can do 2 12" pine stumps in a half hour, backfill the holes and have time to have a glass of tea with the customer.

Pines are the worst!!! Want to rip and tear. You'd better have sharp teeth!:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, I saw the ripping and shredding very clearly. I did NOT have sharp teeth, unless you call a 1/8" radius on the corners "sharp"! :dizzy:

The guy at the rental place tried to tell me that they were as sharp as the day the machine arrived. :rolleyes: Then Tom (THALL10326 here), who works in their saw shop, showed me a new set of teeth hanging on the wall.

Yeah, sure, sharp as the day it arrived. :bang:

At least I'm getting a refund.

They said it had been rented out about 6 or 8 times. Does that sound like normal wear in that time? No telling how it was used, of course.

Yes that type of wear is normal. I also rent a Vermeer 252 for larger jobs and they have a very hard time with pine stumps also. The key as stated before is to have sharp teeth and tight belts. I'll be the first to admit you aren't gonna make a living with this grinder but it serves it's purpose and has done exceptionally well for my needs

I've used the Bluebird unit for several years. Same as Husky, different paint. We call it the Blueturd because its a real workout to use. At 260lbs wet, you can wear yourself out just getting it to the stump.
Mine has the 13 hp Honda, one pull wonder on it. Overall a pretty good unit for someone starting out in the business or wanting a small grinder for narrow gates.
I switched from square teeth to Raycos and then to Greenteeth which promptly blew the thing to bits. Should have stayed with the Raycos-best stumpgrinding teeth on the market.
The Bluebirds were upgraded in 2005 with a lot of design improvements taken from guys in the field.
If I had to do it over again, I'd get a used Dosko from Home Depot or Nations Rent. The Doskos have the same 13 hp Honda but are better balanced and easier to use. Bet you could pick one up for $2500 or less since the rental houses turn their stuff on a regular basis. Go rent a couple different grinders and you will see the longer frame and taller tires on the Dosko make for a better unit. The Huskies, Bluebirds and Raycos all use the shorter frame and little tires. Stay away from the Vermeer-POS. Don't be afraid to buy a used unit. If you can't fix one of these little grinders, you have no business grinding stumps.

I got tired of renting....

I just sub out the stumps.The little i usually save on renting and doin it myself in no way compared the down time i spent with a rented nightmare.If you hire someone with a machine to doithen down time is on them.I got tired of the poor rental mechanics.(usually not enuff time to fix stuff between renting)So now i got 3 stump companies that treat me fair and no headaches for me.1 runs a carlton ox diesel,one a rayco 1625 super jr,and 1 a sc252.

IMO the super jr is much better that the sc252 which are basically same machine.(used to run a older 222 vermeer now that was a little machine with enuff power to git-r-dun)

husqavana 272 stump grinder

very good little stump grinder large chainsaw engine with belt driven one piece wheel and teeth on trolly had it for 3 years did all types of stump 8 10 inch conifers no problem sold it , very sorry i did so , parts easy to get as chainsaw is still made , located new one trying to bye if you get chance bye the one your offered

Latest posts

Back