Husquarna 455 @ lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a bunch of people that have 455's and they are used to cut firewood mostly and they all like them, I have seen quite a few 455 come into my Buddies shop that look like they have been to hell and back with very few issues, I would not walk away from a 455 if I could get it at the right price, I'd offer them $150.00 and work my way up to $200.00 and see what happens, the only reason I would not pay more is because of it's unknown history and since they prob won't let you take it a part a bit to check the cylinder and what not.

I would not pay more is because of it's unknown history and since they prob won't let you take it a part a bit to check the cylinder and what not.

Yes, but they will let you take it home and bring it back the next day!!

As mentioned, find a HD rental center and see if they have any saws for sale. I saw two (6421) last week for $254. If they had been 6401's, I would have brought both home with me.

Yes, but they will let you take it home and bring it back the next day!!

As mentioned, find a HD rental center and see if they have any saws for sale. I saw two (6421) last week for $254. If they had been 6401's, I would have brought both home with me.

--what's the diff between those two makita models? Big bore kits won't fit on those 6421s? (I really don't know)

I don't see any big deal with a marked down rancher if you can get one cheap enough. Just depends, would they let the guy pop the mufler for a look first, fire it up in the parking lot? No idea on their policy with that, doesn't hurt to ask though. At least the running part seems like a resonable request, even at a box store.

455 is a chainsaw, home owner build or not, they all can be muff modded and retuned correctly. I have cut bunches with "home owner" type saws over the years. Ya, I have CAD (kinda sorta) now, have a variety of pro and non pro saws, but just sayin'...

--what's the diff between those two makita models? Big bore kits won't fit on those 6421s? (I really don't know)...

The 6421 has a CAT muffler. I don't think the non-CAT will fit, but it may with a little work. I am pretty sure the BB kit will work. It (Makita saw) is a lot more saw, with the capability to be improved even more.

--I don't see any big deal with a marked down rancher if you can get one cheap enough....
Yes, although we haven't determined what/how much cutting the OP will be doing.

At $150-200, and assuming it is mechanically sound, and assuming the OP isn't going to cut but a few cords per year, I would think that saw would be a good deal. It's not my first choice, but those saws put lots of wood on the ground and heat lots of houses every winter.

--Just depends, would they let the guy pop the mufler for a look first, fire it up in the parking lot? No idea on their policy with that, doesn't hurt to ask though. At least the running part seems like a resonable request, even at a box store....

I would ask...all they can do is say no, and you can always buy it, take it home, and bring it back if it doesn't check-out.

--455 is a chainsaw, home owner build or not, they all can be muff modded and retuned correctly. I have cut bunches with "home owner" type saws over the years. Ya, I have CAD (kinda sorta) now, have a variety of pro and non pro saws, but just sayin'...

A MM helps a lot and sort of makes the weight penalty a little easier to tolerate.

I have a 455 on the bench right now going through it. For homeowner plastic cased saws. I really like how they are built compared to the stihl 290 series of saws. :msp_thumbup:

Me too. I rebuilt one for a tree service a few months ago. The filter was completely stopped up and the intake side of the piston showed the lack of filter attention. It was certainly easier to work on that the 290 series. A new piston, seals, and carb kit, and that saw is back doing duty as a groundie saw.

I wouldn't go near this saw. No way to tell what the "as is" condition is. Could end up being one headache after another. Plus I think those "as is" deals don't come with warranties.

The 6421 has a CAT muffler. I don't think the non-CAT will fit, but it may with a little work. I am pretty sure the BB kit will work. It (Makita saw) is a lot more saw, with the capability to be improved even more.

Yes, although we haven't determined what/how much cutting the OP will be doing.

At $150-200, and assuming it is mechanically sound, and assuming the OP isn't going to cut but a few cords per year, I would think that saw would be a good deal. It's not my first choice, but those saws put lots of wood on the ground and heat lots of houses every winter.

I would ask...all they can do is say no, and you can always buy it, take it home, and bring it back if it doesn't check-out.

A MM helps a lot and sort of makes the weight penalty a little easier to tolerate.

Me too. I rebuilt one for a tree service a few months ago. The filter was completely stopped up and the intake side of the piston showed the lack of filter attention. It was certainly easier to work on that the 290 series. A new piston, seals, and carb kit, and that saw is back doing duty as a groundie saw.

---ya, I was thinking more if they offered it at like 100 or something. If it is 200-250, one of those excellent 346s would be a better deal for a bit more loot, or the makita rental saw.

Latest posts

Back