Husqvarna 125B muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple of these husky 125B handheld blowers. Noticed pretty quickly the performance is a bit lackluster. It does have a catalytic muffler, also the outlet is around 1/4 inch round hole which is under the cover fastened with four screws. I will say I went a little overboard opening this muffler up but it makes a big difference in performance. The outlet cover needs to be reinstalled otherwise your gonna melt the plastic guard covering the muffler. Obviously the carb will need to be adjusted afterwards but well worth the effort in my opinion.
IMG_0309.jpegIMG_0310.jpegIMG_0308.jpegIMG_0311.jpeg

I have one of those. Didn't realize it had a cat. How did you get it out?
It’s still in there. Just enlarging the opening in the muffler housing itself made a big difference. If you remove that outlet cover you’ll see how choked up these blowers are. I’ve taken one of those mufflers apart and removed the cat but haven’t welded it up yet.

I may have to try this. I noticed mine really bogging down and lacking performance when warm. Not even reaching 5000 RPM.

The cat was glowing red hot in the muffler. It would cool back down and run fine.

I may have to try this. I noticed mine really bogging down and lacking performance when warm. Not even reaching 5000 RPM.

The cat was glowing red hot in the muffler. It would cool back down and run fine.
I’d definitely open up the muffler and adjust the carb. It may need further maintenance depending on age and how long it’s been sitting.

I’d definitely open up the muffler and adjust the carb. It may need further maintenance depending on age and how long it’s been sitting.
I just had it all apart. Everything brand new on the fuel & intake side. Had it tuned great with a tach until it got warm. At this point it's either the coil or red hot exhaust.

Actually, I think I'm leaning towards coil now. The ohms don't look right compared to what I'm seeing online.

That makes sense. Bad coil could be dumping too much fuel into the exhaust causing the cat to heat up.

The cats can glow even with a reasonable good tune. I had a weed eater with a cat muffler on it. I was using it close to dusk and my wife pointed it out to me.(I just wanted to finish up so I didn't have to weed whack the next day, she though it was on fire.) Didn't notice it in the daylight, but sure enough it was glowing a dull orange/red color. Gutted that muffler the next day.

Back