Husqvarna 181 ? Manuf. Year and Model Specs. Identification Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodger Royle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi , i have a Husqvarna 181 ? I am mostly positive anyways ?
I bought it a couple years ago and the fellow told me it was a 288xp . I have been resurrecting this saw for a couple months now . I have bought o.e.m parts for her and most of them fit . But just recently i was puzzled to as why i couldn't get the worm gear to thread onto the camcorder shaft and pinion ? Then i stayed looking up past numbers on the saw and found that the oiler was for a 181 ? So i modified the 288 worm gear and it's all together and working now . But I'm curious what the " PO " stamp on the top of the cylinder means and if there any way to pinpoint the year she was made and the model for sure by the stamps and numbers that are on her , there's no20210420_001427.jpgname plate . It was missing when i bought it ?
Please help if you can . Thank you.
Sincerely ,
Rodger Royle

Thanks for the pic's Roger. I'm no whiz banger but, that is either a 281 or a 288 depending on bore size. At least that is what the fuel tank and carburetor assembly is showing me. The 200 series used the roller link ass. such as you have there. And also with the Stihl elasto start handle you don't have a decomp valve I assume. Not 100% on this but normally the 100 series didn't have a decomp valve in the cylinder. Basically you've got a Johnny Cash build there. Nothing wrong with that for sure!!

Hi , i have a Husqvarna 181 ? I am mostly positive anyways ?
I bought it a couple years ago and the fellow told me it was a 288xp . I have been resurrecting this saw for a couple months now . I have bought o.e.m parts for her and most of them fit . But just recently i was puzzled to as why i couldn't get the worm gear to thread onto the camcorder shaft and pinion ? Then i stayed looking up past numbers on the saw and found that the oiler was for a 181 ? So i modified the 288 worm gear and it's all together and working now . But I'm curious what the " PO " stamp on the top of the cylinder means and if there any way to pinpoint the year she was made and the model for sure by the stamps and numbers that are on her , there's noView attachment 902302name plate . It was missing when i bought it ?
Please help if you can . Thank you.
Sincerely ,
Rodger Royle
Not a 181/really early 281, those have black trigger bits. The cylinder looks like the cylinder on my brother's early 281, I'm going to say you probably have a set of 181 or semi early 281 cases, a 281 top end, and a later clutch cover and full wrap. The gray wrap and plastic brake flag came on later saws, usually with the large recoil sticker. Does the saw have the large external spring that bolts to the dog?
edit: Not a set of 181 cases, you have the later kill switch. I'm going to say semi-early 281 with a later clutch cover and full wrap.

Thanks for the pic's Roger. I'm no whiz banger but, that is either a 281 or a 288 depending on bore size. At least that is what the fuel tank and carburetor assembly is showing me. The 200 series used the roller link ass. such as you have there. And also with the Stihl elasto start handle you don't have a decomp valve I assume. Not 100% on this but normally the 100 series didn't have a decomp valve in the cylinder. Basically you've got a Johnny Cash build there. Nothing wrong with that for sure!!
Well it has A181 worm gear and oil pump assembly

Back