Husqvarna 262 XP Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yodayoda

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I dropped a tree and smashed my favorite saw 359 Husqvarna, I have been searching for a used 359 and ran across a really clean 262xp at a local small saw shop when I was visiting my Mom and Dad this past weekend.
It had been traded in by an older gentleman that bought in new and wanted a smaller saw.
I ran the saw yesterday and it seems to run really well, seems about the same as my 359 but I haven’t put it in any big wood yet.
I pulled the spark plug to look at the cylinder today, can see some real faint scratch marks and the compression is 148.
Does that sound a little low? Maybe it will get better as I run it? Probably sat a lot.
Should I just run it as is?
Sorry for the long post, it was kind of an impulse buy,hoping I did ok. Paid $400 out the door.
It’s a 1990 model, HDA 87 carb no decompression

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Nice 359 replacement, just the slightly bigger sister, used the same bar mount- so bars for your 359 fit the 262 (most all I have seen were K095 mount).
If I was sure of the fuel mix I was feeding it and sure the tuning was in spec for that- I would run it until the compression dropped too far for it not to run and then slap a new ring in and carry on.
Pulling the exhaust and viewing the piston will give you a much better idea of condition.
Looks to be a nice clean saw, check over all the things that can perish and or be eaten by your E fuel that we don't have- replace any deemed needed and enjoy a nice saw.

Thanks,guess I was thinking it would have a little more compression.
I always second guess myself after making larger purchases, I’ve missed a few deals over the years because I like to think about things for a few days or weeks😊

I don’t think it was a bargain but if it turns out to be a good saw and I like it as much as my 359 I’m happy. Didn’t really want to shell out $800 for a new saw

Nice find, just don't smash this one, parts are hard if not impossible to find.
There are a lot of aftermarket parts available for the 359, should be easy to fix unless you damaged the crankcase as well.

Nice find, just don't smash this one, parts are hard if not impossible to find.
There are a lot of aftermarket parts available for the 359, should be easy to fix unless you damaged the crankcase as well.
It did break the case along side the air filter, it still runs I thought about just getting the part that attaches the air filter a new top cover and handle and just running it as is

Attachments

• 2E8C73F5-B6E0-4375-8492-4A02DB010264.jpeg
    2E8C73F5-B6E0-4375-8492-4A02DB010264.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Im usually very careful but..It was a small, maybe 10-12” diameter maple, it was windy and when I was doing my back cut I could tell it was going to pinch my bar, so instead of stopping and going to get wedges and hammer out of the 4 wheeler or stopping and reassessing I thought I could hurry and finish my cut and pull the saw out. (Didn’t really matter what way it fell)
Ended up cutting through part of the hinge, saw got stuck and it started twisting on the stump,I ran,it fell sideways.
Stupid carelessness but a good lesson, a small tree could kill you just as fast as a big tree

I don’t think it was a bargain but if it turns out to be a good saw and I like it as much as my 359 I’m happy. Didn’t really want to shell out $800 for a new saw
I have been looking for one of
these saws

. I bought a 562xp from dealer a few months back. I’ve run a total of 5 tanks fuel thru it. Original bar and chain. I can send you some pictures of it if you want to consider a trade.

I have been looking for one of
these saws

. I bought a 562xp from dealer a few months back. I’ve run a total of 5 tanks fuel thru it. Original bar and chain. I can send you some pictures of it if you want to consider a trade.
It is still under warranty serial number and receipt can be sent in picture as well. I’ll trade if you pay for shipping both ways. I’ll send you my saw first and you can send me that one after you receive it as long as I can be assured of your address

Latest posts

Back