Husqvarna 266, 268, 272 Transfers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motosierra

motosierra

ArboristSite Guru
Has anyone opened up the bottom end of the transfers of these cylinders, straight into the case like that of a 61 transfer? The 61 transfer opens straight into the case.

Last edited:
Jacob J.
You have to be careful with the transfers on the 266 and 268. It's real easy to provide those saws with too much transfer volume and slow the flow down, resulting in less acceleration.

Most of the Husky shops here were dropping the transfers on the 272 down into the case like you say, and I ran a few of those saws and was never impressed.

The best 272 I ever ran was built by a former member here and the bottom of the transfers was angled downward a bit but not totally opened up into the case. The upper transfers was raised a hair and angled towards the intake side of the cylinder a bit and small finger ports were added on the intake side of the lower transfer area to come up inline with the upper transfers. The intake and exhaust ports weren't raised much but widened almost to the max allowable.

motosierra

motosierra

ArboristSite Guru
Thank you for the great information. Is it possible that increasing the volume of the transfers decreases the pressure of the fuel mix passing the piston into the combustion chamber?

You said that on the modified 272, the intake and exhaust ports were widened to almost maximum allowable. Do you know about how much is maximum allowable?.....

Would the former AS member that you referred to live in the Washington State area and "D" would be the first letter in his name?...LOL....thanks Floyd

Jacob J.
Sierraazul said:
You said that on the modified 272, the intake and exhaust ports were widened to almost maximum allowable. Do you know about how much is maximum allowable?.....

Within .024" of each side of the piston skirt, I think.

Sierraazul said:
Would the former AS member that you referred to live in the Washington State area and "D" would be the first letter in his name?...LOL....thanks Floyd

I think he might live a hair north of Washington state, but that was years ago.

motosierra

motosierra

ArboristSite Guru
About a year ago I opened a 272 exhaust port up less than 3/8" on each side of the entrance of the port. The saw was running as if it did not have any torque so I opend it up and found scuffing on the piston skirts. I have not done anything with it since. I want to get back to it and continue the transition of the existining opening further toward the outlet of the exhaust port and see how that will effect the perfomance.

Do you remeber the name of the builder that you mentioned in your previous post? Maybe I could contact him.

Brownpot Deaton

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
same thing...

i was just curious if anyone has the information to fix what was wrong with the previously lmentioned saw that lost its torque, or if the owner found a way to fix it, think i might be experiencing the same thing