husqvarna 288xp fuel leak(s) / idle issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_daddy234

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys , picked up a 288 cheap and seems to be a good saw other then a few small issues...

the fuel tank cap leaks unless you tighten it really tight with pliers... the threads on the cap are fine but the lowest thread inside the tank seems sort of chewed up, anyone ever run into that issue?

it also leaks fuel out of the hex bolt on the chain brake side of the fuel tank ( its in the upper corner) what is that hex bolt for? is it a breather? i can see a black rubberish peice inside the hole but it looks chewed up.

the saw has trouble idleing and will quit after 10 seconds without hitting the throttle...... adjusting doesent help much.....could a simple carb kit solve this or does it sound like worn butterflys etc?

i dont think she has any air leaks as i have sprayed carb cleaner in all the problem areas but cant say forsure as i dont have a pressure/vacuum tester...any other ways of testing without the proper tools ? :p

thanks for any help.

A new fuel cap should solve that leak.

On the other one, I'm not clear on where the upper corner is that the bolt is in. Guessing, I'd say that maybe it's where the tank vent is supposed to be. Perhaps someone jammed that in there instead of a tank vent? That could also explain some of the idle issue, but I suspect you'll need to clean and kit the carb. Be sure to check your fuel line as well.

Thanks for the reply.... Is anyone else familiar with that hex bolt? Im not convinced someone put it there as it looks factory..... If your looking at the saw on the chain brake side with the brake assembly removed its in the top lefthand corner of the fuel tank..... Or is that the breather location?

Latest posts

Back