husqvarna 345 wont idle, hard starting, only 90lbs. of compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilabeez0

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
neighbors saw, he's a landscaper so it sees a decent amount of work. 8 years old, never been serviced. gives it to me saying it wont idle and takes at least 8 pulls to get it going. first thing i notice is the circular clutch cover is missing exposing the clutch which has 1 of the springs blown off so the bar is always engaged :msp_ohmy: pull the plug and it looks ancient, he says he's never changed it in 8 years. i put a new plug in it and break the carb down and clean it in my ultrasonic cleaner at least 4 times. no rebuild kit as i have to order one. i put it back together with the new plug and its still a bear to start. if i can get it going it wont idle. do a compression test and it's only at 90. i thought that was enough to get a saw running but after doing a search on here it doesn't seem like it. i ordered him a new clutch off of ebay since it was only $20 shipped and was going to buy a new chinese carb off of ebay since that was only $20 shipped. but now that i see it might be the compression is too low i'm looking for opinions on what to do next. rings? piston and rings? piston, rings, carb? he just put a new bar and chain on it so he'll spend a few bucks but it's not like it's an expensive one.

I'm almost sure the piston is scored. The cooling fins are likely full of debris and the piston is probably cooked. Pull the muffler, check for scoring, plan on a rebuild, or a new saw

I'll pull the head and report back. Leaning towards cutting the loss.

Took the muffler off and moved the piston down, I could see a thumbnail sized brown burn mark on the intake side. Thinking the cylinder is probably scored. Probably going to cut the cord on this one. Wish I hadn't ordered the clutch first :/

Back