Husqvarna 346xp carb leaking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horrigan72

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an older 346, 45cc model that hangs by its handle like in the photo. I've been getting what I thought was bar oil on the muffler but as it turns out, it's fuel leaking slowly through the cylinder and out the exhaust port.

Is hanging them by the handle just wrong? Is it a carb issue where it needs to be cleaned or rebuilt?

I really appreciate the wisdom here. Give me your thoughts and solutions please.

Attachments

• 20220630_131730.jpg
    20220630_131730.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
It's a carb issue. Likely the inlet needle isn't sealing against the seat. You can throw a carb kit at it and see what happens but a better way would be to use a hand pump to apply 7psi to the fuel inlet and see what's going on.

This just happened to me with a Husky 350. I removed the carburetor, cleaned it up and the area around it. Then I soaked the carb in mixed fuel overnight inside a glass jar with its lid on. Next day I installed the carb once again. The engine started as if it was a brand new carb and I tuned it a tad.

I call this procedure "my dirt-cheap carb fix." I have used it for years, usually before I rebuild or replace a carb and it is amazing how many times it works. Give it a try. Doesn't cost much.

It's a carb issue. Likely the inlet needle isn't sealing against the seat. You can throw a carb kit at it and see what happens but a better way would be to use a hand pump to apply 7psi to the fuel inlet and see what's going on.
Thank you. That is what I was thinking. I ordered a zama kit for it. I have not done a carb kit before. I will find some videos but any advice?

This just happened to me with a Husky 350. I removed the carburetor, cleaned it up and the area around it. Then I soaked the carb in mixed fuel overnight inside a glass jar with its lid on. Next day I installed the carb once again. The engine started as if it was a brand new carb and I tuned it a tad.

I call this procedure "my dirt-cheap carb fix." I have used it for years, usually before I rebuild or replace a carb and it is amazing how many times it works. Give it a try. Doesn't cost much.
That's a good idea. I already ordered a kit though. I have plenty of other saws this will apply to sooner or later. Thanks again

Back