Husqvarna 346XP Scored Piston, Wont Start..??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0858

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna 346XP. It wont start. Has spark, and is getting fuel. Took the muffler off and looked at the piston. I don't have a compression gauge. So Ill ask your expert advice. Is this piston scored bad enough to keep it from starting? If so, where can I get a replacement piston and cylinder combo for a reasonable price?

346-1.jpg
346-2.jpg

346-3.jpg

I would guess that is why it won't start, there's a couple pretty good gouges on that piston, But until you tear it apart I wouldn't order a p/c. It's possible you might be able to save the cylinder and order a 30 dollar piston kit and be running again.

Or,,for $105 delivered get a new aftermarket P&C and with a little work have everything new again..

To do a pressure and vaccum test you will definately need a pressure/vaccum pump. Seal usually only leak in one direction so yes you can do a pressure test with all kinds of different things (ie air compressor, tire pump etc....) you cannot do a vaccum test with them. So you need a vaccum/pressure pump, and some rubber (old inner tube works great), and a nipple that will screw into your spark plug hole or decomp valve hole. Loosen your muffler bolts and your carb, slide a piece of rubber in between the cylinder and muffer and between the carb and intake boot, tighten everything back up. Hook up the feed line from your pressure/vaccum tester to your nipple. Pressure, pump up to 10 psi, if you cant pump it up first thing srpay some soappy water around the work you have just done). If they check out fine (they usually account for the inability to build any pressure. I f you can build pressure but it drops quickly, you have a bad seal or impluse line, one again check with soapy water and look for bubbles. Then repeat the same procedure but this time testing for vaccum

BUMP :laugh:

Where's all the commotion?.....Where's all the 346 fanboys?.....Uh, oh, I forgot they'd rather post in the Dolmar threads......LMAO

:agree2:

Absolutely!

The most likely reasons are air leak, bad/streight gas, or set too lean on the "H" side of the carb.

How old is the saw?

I think it was straight gassed. Its 3 years old. I havent taken it apart yet. But I can only assume it will need a cylinder as well as a piston. Cheapest one I found was $160 on Baileys. Is there anywhere else I can purchase cheaper?

I bought the saw off craigslist for $100. Have no Idea of other history, but looks almost brand new.

I think it was straight gassed. Its 3 years old. I havent taken it apart yet. But I can only assume it will need a cylinder as well as a piston. Cheapest one I found was $160 on Baileys. Is there anywhere else I can purchase cheaper?

I bought the saw off craigslist for $100. Have no Idea of other history, but looks almost brand new.

If it really was "just" streight-gassed, all you need to fix probably is the damaged engine part(s).

Next question is if it is a NE (50cc) one, or the old 45cc one - 3 years old points to the old one, but only barely......

The NE one came with an air purge and a "silver" clutch cover. The top cover and the recoil cover also are different, but those differences is harder to describe....

Stay with original Husky parts!

Last edited:
If it really was "just" streight-gassed, all you need to fix probably is the damaged engine part(s).

Next question is if it is a NE (50cc) one, or the old 45cc one - 3 years old points to the old one, but only barely......

The NE one came with an air purge and a "silver" clutch cover. The top cover and the recoil cover also are different, but those differences is harder to describe....

Stay with original Husky parts!

Husky parts are expensive, lol. And yes it has the silver clutch cover.

Just thinking it was straight gassed would not be good enough for this cad victim. I have seen too many of these Husqvarna with classic lean out from an air leak.

I have yet another one on my bench right now. First a 350, then a 359, now a 357xp. Intake clamp, intake clamp, intake clamp...

It only takes a few minutes to pull a vacuum on most saws that have a impulse hose, ie a place to "plug in a tester". My worst fear is to spend time and money fixing a saw just to fry it again because I think it was just straight gassed.

Good luck, and use this saw to school yourself as the cad takes over, or sell it and run away from this site...

Back