Husqvarna 41

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Are the 41's rebadged poulans or were they built a little better? I picked one up of CL for $50. Has a 14" & 16" bar. Two new aftermarket chains in the package (Arnold). 3-4 other chains with lots of life left. A Husky case (the 350 fits in there :cheers:) and to seal the deal a scrench! It starts up easy but has a rattle behind the chain cover. He had it at the dealer and was told it was the clutch. I haven't took it apart to check it out yet. I figure if that's it I can fix it for ~$20, keep the case and still break even. The saw itself is in really good shape. I'm sure I could talk myself into keeping due to CAD but with my other learnin' saw (350) going to Mitch I sure don't NEED it.

A Husky 41 is a good lightweight homeowner saw. Just make sure you use non-safety chain and don't horse it around, and you will be very happy i suspect. I have a Husky 36 which is the same thing but 5cc's less and for what it is, it's impressed everyone that's tried it. It's the only homeowner saw I own.

The 41, 36, 141, 136, 142 and 137 are not rebadged Poulans, but they were made (asambled really) at the Poulan factory. Some important parts (like the crank) were made in Sweden.

I picked up a 41 new many years ago as my first saw. I cut alot of wood with it, sold it to a friend when I picked up a new 55 Rancher. He abused the 41 for a few years and I got it back in a trade. It still runs great. Doing a muff mod on my 142 made a huge difference in the way the saw feels/acts. I bet it could almost out cut my 372 :laugh:

The 41, 36, 141, 136, 142 and 137 are not rebadged Poulans, but they were made (asambled really) at the Poulan factory. Some important parts (like the crank) were made in Sweden.

All these Husky's you've wrote plus the Jonsered 2036-2040 are identical with the Poulans 2775-2900-4620-295.Except some minor differences on the Husky's (a/v are different) and that Husky-Jonsered models are smaller cc's,they are clones.In fact the Jonsereds and the poulans have the color as the only different between them,literally.

The 41 was the first saw I ever purchased. Paid $199 for it in 1995. I beat the hell out of it and never had a problem. My son has it now, and it still runs great.

I also have a 36 that's been a decent performer. I see there's a .325 clutch drum available for the 36/41. Would .325 chain offer any improvement in performance? Are there any simple mods (muffler) that will give these saws a bit more punch?

Sorry, but these saws were designed and assembled at Poulan, and most of the parts were made at Poulan factory or by local suppliers. The only reason that it has a Swedish made crankshaft is because Husqvarna needed more volume for its factory to improve efficiency. The cylinders were machined at Poulan and the pistons were made in Taiwan. The only work done in Sweden on this project was the styling concepts for Husqvarna and Jonsered models.

As was mentioned, these Husqvarna saws have the same 36cc or 40cc modular engine that was used in the Poulan 2500/2600 & Poulan Pro 255 saws, Jonsered 2036 & 2040 saws, Partner 365 & 405 models, and Craftsman 2.5-18' model. The Husqvarna models were designed with a isolated fuel tank to match their other saws of the time. All the other versions have a fuel tank in chassis (crankcase) & isolated handles - many of the covers and handles were designed to give the different brands their own unique look. At a later date the Poulans were made in 45cc and 49cc also.

It probably will be a big surprise to many of you, but the "crappy" "low quality" Poulan designed and manufactured Husqvarna 36/41 saws made more profit for Husqvarna than any of their professional models (or consumer or farmer saws) past or present - as of about 5 years ago. During the time of this project, Husqvarna was part of the Electrolux before it was split off. Poulan engineering won the prestigious "The Electrolux Award for Engineering Excellence" in 1991 for this P600 project.

Back