Husqvarna 44 Muffler mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the silencer wasn't spot welded to the baffle, just two spot welds to the inside of the front facing section. Besides the hole location isn't really a concern so nothing wrong with at the front. Once it is opened up to 16mm and the original welded up then the silencer will be bypassed without the need to open it up and gut it.

the silencer wasn't spot welded to the baffle, just two spot welds to the inside of the front facing section. Besides the hole location isn't really a concern so nothing wrong with at the front. Once it is opened up to 16mm and the original welded up then the silencer will be bypassed without the need to open it up and gut it.

All factory front facing mufflers that I've seen with front outlets have a louver or plate that deflects the hot exhaust so it does not heat the log. If you were to search you could read about that hazard. Is the front outlet hole above the muffler bracket and do you plan to use a spark arrester screen ?

Last edited:
All factory front facing mufflers that I've seen with front outlets have a louver or plate that deflects the hot exhaust so it does not heat the log. If you were to search you could read about that hazard. Is you front outlet hole above the front muffler bracket and do you plan to use a spark arrester screen ?
yeah i'll get a 16mm internal diameter pipe cut at 45deg with a screen on the end.

Gareth, does the silencer on your rusty muffler have holes on the underside or is there only a single hole at the end ?
i'm in work at the mo so haven't got it to hand, but there are 8 slits i think along the silencer...

first, i hate threads like this and i resisted reading it bc i just had a bad feeling about it. but since i was sucked into it bc of boredom, here goes.
first, 100% of the size of the port at the piston is fine. it is the number that i use. you can stuff spaghetti noodles into the post and against the piston. when it is full, pull it out, tie a string around the noodles, measure the length of string, and calculate the opening.

second, 10 small holes of equal diameter to 1 large hole will not flow as much air as the larger hole bc of the increased amount of edge to hole.

third, here is a link to carb tuning. read it carefully and you should be good to go.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw carb tune.htm

fourth, why all of the worry, work and drama for a 44cc saw when you say a 35cc would serve your needs?

fifth, 59 posts regarding a MM has to be a record and is a dubious distinction.

Last edited:
because it was my first mod i was unsure where to drill. I was then told to cut it open etc. I explained it would not split open after but then i had people telling me it's not welded and so forth. Yet i had it in front of me lol so i should know.
the reason why i wanted to mod it was because i can i just simply don't know the internals of such small devices

because it was my first mod i was unsure where to drill. I was then told to cut it open etc. I explained it would not split open after but then i had people telling me it's not welded and so forth. Yet i had it in front of me lol so i should know.
the reason why i wanted to mod it was because i can i just simply don't know the internals of such small devices

New air filter and a quick tighten of the muffler has it running fine. Just got to make some minor adjustments over the weekend including welding up teh side and original hole and making the one bigger

Latest posts

Back