Husqvarna 450 Rancher - Broken Idle Screw Mount

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigadude

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this site and this is my first post.

I currently own a Husqvarna 450 Rancher and today while I was tuning it I broke the Idle Screw (T) Mount. I received this saw second hand and was adjusting it while running and the metal piece that holds the pilot hole for the screw to crank against the throttle broke. I think the steel was just weak from being adjust a lot by the previous owner because I barely used any torque once it was tight.

The saw will start fine but dies as soon as I let off the trigger since the throttle becomes completely disengaged and therefore cant hold an idle.

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace this piece? I have the piece of metal and am wondering if some JB weld would hold it on if I can get access to where it broke off or if it will require replacing a bigger piece.

Did I screw up big time and render the saw completely useless now or is there hope?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

In my opinion- JB Weld might be a temporary fix at best- maybe if you goop enough around a semi permanent fix?
Does the tongue the idle screw works in not wing off the base plate of the carb? So in theory you only need a new base plate- do the Chinese offer carbs for this model- ie: cheap and nasty carbs? Get one of those, swap the base plate and idle screw onto your good carb and toss the rest in the bin.
Or find a smoked 450 Rancher parts saw- a crushed one or burned up top end one- use the carb off of it.

Now back to the tuning- the idle screw should not become tight- even barely any torque tight. Could be, if sitting in one position for a long time on the same threads- it may have dissimilar metal corroded in place and turning the screw turned the metal instead?
Or the idle is not part of your problem and there were other issues- of this we do not know as we do not know what you were trying to correct with your tuning.

Thanks for all the info guys! It's much appreciated.

I'm gonna look into replacing the entire carb or at least the base plate.

Regarding how it broke, the metal looks like magnesium and was pretty gunked up with grease so maybe the screw threads got corroded and the metal snapped. I think it was already weakened by the previous owner as I barely turned the screw and didn't even feel anything break, just one second it was there, the next it was gone.

Back