Husqvarna 55 farm tough - need chain recommendations - catching hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greasycat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
To start thanks in advance for any responses.

Newbie here. Want recommendations on the best....fastest chain for dead pine from bark beetle. Catching crap from my elk hunting partners for my husqvarna...they all been bringing a stihls. I had been cutting holes in the pond for duck hunting the last 10 years without switching chains, just don't cut wood much anymore...but I brought my saw to hunting camp last year for the heck of it and all got was crap.....time to go high octane with new chain. Need advise on new chain for the saw. I don't know much about chains.

The saw I have is a Husqvarna 55 farm tough. I've had it for years, maybe 15 or more. I purchased it when a twister hit my farmstead and took down 15 of 16 big trees. It took me several months to get things cleaned up. The trees were 30-40 year old elm, walnut and locust. The saw did great and got the job done. I've never had a problem with it. I think I still have the same chain on it.

My equipment is good, engine purrs....just need a new chain to take to Elk Camp in a couple weeks. My saw is easily comparable with theirs saws, but my chain was really dull and would keep up but not necessarily beat there saws.

I need this chain to stay sharp for 1/2 day of cutting dead pine. Looking for the fastest one that might work on this saw.....strictly for the ..."no comment bragging right around the camp fire"....let there be no doubt. Pretty sure mine is an 18 inch bar.

Much appreciated!

I cut quite a few years with same saw as yours which now belongs to my son. We found Carlton chains at a local small engine shop and they seemed to be much better and faster cutting than the stock Husky chains I had used for years. I am sure some other guys on here might have better info. All I remember was they were Carlton 20” and 3/8 pitch.

To start thanks in advance for any responses.

Newbie here. Want recommendations on the best....fastest chain for dead pine from bark beetle. Catching crap from my elk hunting partners for my husqvarna...they all been bringing a stihls. I had been cutting holes in the pond for duck hunting the last 10 years without switching chains, just don't cut wood much anymore...but I brought my saw to hunting camp last year for the heck of it and all got was crap.....time to go high octane with new chain. Need advise on new chain for the saw. I don't know much about chains.

The saw I have is a Husqvarna 55 farm tough. I've had it for years, maybe 15 or more. I purchased it when a twister hit my farmstead and took down 15 of 16 big trees. It took me several months to get things cleaned up. The trees were 30-40 year old elm, walnut and locust. The saw did great and got the job done. I've never had a problem with it. I think I still have the same chain on it.

My equipment is good, engine purrs....just need a new chain to take to Elk Camp in a couple weeks. My saw is easily comparable with theirs saws, but my chain was really dull and would keep up but not necessarily beat there saws.

I need this chain to stay sharp for 1/2 day of cutting dead pine. Looking for the fastest one that might work on this saw.....strictly for the ..."no comment bragging right around the camp fire"....let there be no doubt. Pretty sure mine is an 18 inch bar.

Much appreciated!

You probably have .325 chain. I’d get Husqvarna’s new SP33G x-cut chain with the gold link. You’ll need 72 drive link for an 18” bar.
Although, with Stihl heads, if the saw isn’t a Stihl, it’s never good enough.

There should be some model info stamped on the bar where the chain leaves the powerhead. If you post a good, clear picture of it we can get real specific with recommendations.

You want the fastest chain that will cut for half a day (say 4-6hrs) without resharpening?...Requirements kinda contradict themselves but you need chipper chain or carbide or semi chisel to even think about cutting that long all of which are slow relative to other chain types.

"farm tough" is actually on the bar and isn't a saw designation, if it's less than 20 or so years old it's a 55 'rancher' model and likely came equipped with a 20" bar, replaceable rim sprocket and regular 3/8" pitch chain. Pushing the performance envelope of this particular saw, yes but that's what it was. And in pine might be fairly appropriate...

Dead pine is typically pretty soft and as long as you don't hit dirt or whatever a full chisel chain will likely go the distance for a day.

Either the new Oregon exl or the new Husky chain would be a reasonable choice, or even just Oregon lgx/lpx.
If you really want to make an impression, have someone here do a square grind for you...

And then open up the muffler a bit and then...

There should be some model info stamped on the bar where the chain leaves the powerhead. If you post a good, clear picture of it we can get real specific with recommendations.

Cview, Here is the photo, hope it loads, if not I will list it out.

Attachments

• 20191025_214252.jpg
    20191025_214252.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Also it is a 55 Rancher....although I am much, much,...much closer to a farmer :) but we always had a couple horses growing up.

Also, thanks everyone for jumping in with replies.

You probably have .325 chain. I’d get Husqvarna’s new SP33G x-cut chain with the gold link. You’ll need 72 drive link for an 18” bar.
Although, with Stihl heads, if the saw isn’t a Stihl, it’s never good enough.
might just have to take a husqvarna rifle hunting...but i might not get any help coming down the hill with an animal, so I will be quiet if I do that, until we head out, then I'll get a picture with my saw, rifle and hopefully an elk.

Thank you to all you gent"s that provided me some guidance....worked perfect with full chisel LGX. The other saws were a stihl 271 farm boss. Smoked'um but next year they will have new chains too. Clearly out cut them.. no words needed. It was all in fun for camp wood. I sawed up 8-10 good sized dead pines. I finished ahead on all the trees. My little homelite xl got a new blade too for trimming and that sucker won for best smoke output.

Again, much appreciated-

You might want to try Stihl RS full chisel chain as well, I have had very good luck with both 3/8 and .325 versions of it. I can go a couple of days of cutting hardwood without sharpening if I keep them out of the dirt.

Latest posts

Back