Husqvarna muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a Alpine Magnum stump grinder with the Husqvarna 3120XP engine. The way it gets mounted on the grinder calls for the factory muffler to be removed and it comes with a custom fit one. Which consists of more or less a square metal box with a deflector on the front to discharge the exhaust down. It is LOUD! with a distinct hollow ring to it. I removed the box and put about a 1/2 cup size piece of steel wool inside, then wrapped the box with aluminum tape.This quieted it down maybe 20%. Anyone have any better ideas? Or see any thing wrong with what I've done so far? Thanks for any info. (PS That is one powerful engine!)

what is in the way that the original must go? I would think you can fab up a bit of pipe with a muffler on it if you really wanted to, order the tuned pipe from a builder if you wanna take it to another level with the performance, or just wear earplugs.

Steelwool in a muffler is never a good idea. If for any reason there is a back draft you run the possibility of sucking the little pieces of steel into the cylinder and piston area. OUCH ! I know that Alpine makes a Aluminum replacement for the steel muffler. I do not know if it is any quieter you might call and ask.

Gordy

Back