Husqvarna Rancher 50(?) ID And Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all. Today I picked up a Husqvarna saw from an individual I did a trade with a few weeks ago. The first saw was blown up and really buggered up. Anyways, today he messages me to tell me he placed a Husqvarna Rancher outside and to drop off the old and grab the new. So I did! It is a Rancher from what I can tell as it is marked as such on the handle (picture #4), but would like to confirm that it is a model 50 before 'begging for manuals' and wasting someones time over the wrong saw. Anyways, it is in overall decent condition with the main things needed would be a recoil cover (picture #2, and #3), top cover (picture #3), and air filter, and lastly, on off switch. For the time being, I will repair the recoil cover, and air filter cover as they will be easy to repair. The air filter is there, but one arm of the main plastic 'x' to the center is broken, but still usable. And again, lastly, the switch.... There is none (picture #4)! Just an open hole where one is supposed to be. With that said, I see the yellow wire under the cover is taped up (picture #5), making me think they just choked it to shut it off. So would it be any problem to find a switch of similar size and install it? I would assume that the yellow wire would connect to one side of the switch and the other side would ground out somewhere? First thing I did when I received it after taking these photos, was squirt some 40:1 in the plug hole and give it a pull. It started and ran for a second, so I am happy. Thanks for reading my ramble, and hope to have some fun fixing this thing up and cutting some wood.

h1.jpg h5.jpg h6.jpg h2.jpg h4.jpg

Forgot to ask. Is there a way to date it by serial number or anything on the tag? Silver tag, 515xxxx. Guessing from what I have read 1985, 15th week of manufacture? Thanks again.

Hi all. Today I picked up a Husqvarna saw from an individual I did a trade with a few weeks ago. The first saw was blown up and really buggered up. Anyways, today he messages me to tell me he placed a Husqvarna Rancher outside and to drop off the old and grab the new. So I did! It is a Rancher from what I can tell as it is marked as such on the handle (picture #4), but would like to confirm that it is a model 50 before 'begging for manuals' and wasting someones time over the wrong saw. Anyways, it is in overall decent condition with the main things needed would be a recoil cover (picture #2, and #3), top cover (picture #3), and air filter, and lastly, on off switch. For the time being, I will repair the recoil cover, and air filter cover as they will be easy to repair. The air filter is there, but one arm of the main plastic 'x' to the center is broken, but still usable. And again, lastly, the switch.... There is none (picture #4)! Just an open hole where one is supposed to be. With that said, I see the yellow wire under the cover is taped up (picture #5), making me think they just choked it to shut it off. So would it be any problem to find a switch of similar size and install it? I would assume that the yellow wire would connect to one side of the switch and the other side would ground out somewhere? First thing I did when I received it after taking these photos, was squirt some 40:1 in the plug hole and give it a pull. It started and ran for a second, so I am happy. Thanks for reading my ramble, and hope to have some fun fixing this thing up and cutting some wood.
Plenty of cheap aftermarket complete starter assys on eBay.
The intake may remain partially choked if one or more of the thick bars of the air filter are broken.
Slide kill switches from other Husqvarna models could be worth trying. e.g. 61, 254

Back