Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
MY uncle is in the market for a 50cc saw. Has his eye on 261c-m. I'm of course talking up the 550xp. He claims that the m- tronic advances timing, which it does, and that's why he'd prefer the stihl. I can't recall if the Swedish dream saw advances its timing? Does it boys? I tried calling Bob to ask him today, but his shop closes at noon and I missed him.

The 261 has M-Tronic and the 550xp has Autotune. Neing a Husky guy i'd get the 550xp but honestly you can't go wrong with either saw. Have him pick the dealer that has the best support and buy a saw whichever it may be he'll be happy with it.

None of them come stock with advanced timing (not that im aware of) from the dealer.
Sent from my Autotune Carb

He is telling me the stihl advances the timing electronicly

I have a brand-new MS-261 C-M. From what I have learned, only fuel adjustments are controlled by M-Tronic. It has nothing to do with timing advances.

Stihl web-site says nothing about ignition control.

No modern cdi ignition engine can "advance" the timing. The pickup is set at max btdc, then timing is retarded at cranking, idle, and rev limit. Yes M-Tronic has variable ignition timing.

The MS 261 C-M is a real saw compared to the flimsy feeling 550xp. The Husqys are cheaper because they use flimsy parts, poor attention to detail, and have poor service after the Internet sale. But hey, at least I've heard they have great sideways balance!

No modern cdi ignition engine can "advance" the timing. The pickup is set at max btdc, then timing is retarded at cranking, idle, and rev limit. Yes M-Tronic has variable ignition timing.

The MS 261 C-M is a real saw compared to the flimsy feeling 550xp. The Husqys are cheaper because they use flimsy parts, poor attention to detail, and have poor service after the Internet sale. But hey, at least I've heard they have great sideways balance!

Have you actually used any of these junky huskies or are you arm chairing them? How bout the guy with the busted cover on the 661 on day 2? I guess it's a junky saw too:rolleyes:

I prefer the 261 in the 50cc class. :popcorn:

Oh yeah! If I recall correctly, the broken 661 guy is climbing with the saw. Isn't that a little tough on saws? All of the climber's saws I've ever seen have been in pretty poor looking condition. But if you think the 661 is flimsy, that's fine. I've not seen one yet to make a decision on it.

Oh yeah! If I recall correctly, the broken 661 guy is climbing with the saw. Isn't that a little tough on saws? All of the climber's saws I've ever seen have been in pretty poor looking condition. But if you think the 661 is flimsy, that's fine. I've not seen one yet to make a decision on it.

But after only 2 DAYS!! Im not gonna smack talk Stihl because im not wearing blinders and they make good saws i just use Husky's but I've climbed with my 2 346xp's for the last 5 year and look like they went to war but nothing has broken and they run like a champ.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

I'd recommend going with the dealer that's more technically savvy and can fix the saw if anything goes south. I've run a 550xp and own a standard carb MS261; they both have their strengths. 550 has more sparkle and agility; my 261 is a steady Eddie and does just about everything right.

I hear that the ignition module is connected to the autotune/mtronic on both saws. I'm sure randy would know the answer. I can't see the 261 having anything over the 550. Oh and xskier is a known husky hater even though it seems he has never once used one. Remember skier. Just cause your daddy taught you to love stihls don't mean he is right :)

Yeah climbing can be rough on saws. However if you are breaking parts of a 2 day old saw...... o_O Maybe change the way you are doing your climbing :rolleyes:
I have not read that particular thread so don't know all the details, as i don't have the luxury to sit here 24hrs a day unfortunately. :laugh:

I have climbed with a 660 before in the past. It was not treated like it was gold plated. Never had anything break on the bosses Stihl's or my Huski's in the 5 years i was at that job. Plus the 066 was shared between 3 climbers (My boss, me and the new young fella) depending on what size trees we were booked in to do.

Latest posts

Back