HVAC and OWB question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that was a false assumption... The motor quit again last night, and with help would start/stop, but now won't even make the aforesaid buzzing noise... Going to tear it down and see what I can see tomorrow. Too bad I didn't order that cap yet...

Mt. Falls Mikey... I don't use propane at this time. I spent $7k on a wood furnace because it will pay for itself in two years in propane alone.

That's all well and fine, but if there is some reason you need to run your propane furnace, it should be ready to go. Just buy the new motor/cap, put it on, and be done with it...

Just buy the new motor/cap, put it on, and be done with it...

And thats what I had to do. The cap went bad, (which was the original cap) finishing off the motor, which lo and behold was REALLY REALLY trashed even though it was a replacement and not original to the furnace.. This was likely due to the fact I ran a "draw through" setup with a junky woodstove, it got full of wood ash from the blower drawing unfiltered air/wood ash from around the furnace, which then got wet from the damp basement and corroded the living **** out of it. Also, I guess these blowers don't like hot air, which my draw through setup off the old woodstove gave it alot of. The cheap fiberglass furnace filters didn't catch wood ash at that time. Got nice pleated hypoallergenic ones now...

So I spent about 5 sleepless nights, about $200 and about 100 miles of running for parts.

New cap and motor and it runs great, quieter than ever. I've lived here for about 6 years and the blower motor always sounded like crap and now I don't even hear the furnace kick on. It has been going bad for a long time.

A special thanks to David (saltas) I learned alot about electric motors from you and you helped me understand when it was time to give up and let the sensible me overcome the cheapass me.

...time to give up and let the sensible me overcome the cheapass me.
I quite often have this problem also. I *might* have come by it naturally though...do you think being Dutch has anything to do with it?
windmill.gif

Back