Hydraulic oil in Louisianna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddy3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok guys you have probally seen a couple of my other threads, anyways I basically rebuilt my old 99 Speeco made 28 ton, it was originally a Iron Hand model, every thing is new and I upgraded to a 16 gpm pump from a 11gpm, enlarged all of my plumbing and doubled my fluid resevoir from 8 gal to 17 gal, I had originally put AW32 hydro oil in it.

My question for the post was to see what some of you would reccomend, I noticed alot of you run ATF, here in Louisianna it does not get below 32 degrees very often, what are the pros and cons to ATF versus AW32.

Not worried about the price one way or the other if it helps any way.

my concerns are mainly heat and speed.

In my warmer climate will ATF run cooler or warmer than AW32 and will it make any difference on tempature.

AW32 will be fine, been running 32 for more than 10 years on my splitter. You really do not need all the additives that are in ATF. Won't run any faster or cooler with atf, except to cost a little more upfront. If you are worried about cold weather operation ( which you really don't have from my point of view ( WI) then move up to AW4x or 5x

AW32 will be fine, been running 32 for more than 10 years on my splitter. You really do not need all the additives that are in ATF. Won't run any faster or cooler with atf, except to cost a little more upfront. If you are worried about cold weather operation ( which you really don't have from my point of view ( WI) then move up to AW4x or 5x

That is exactly what I was thinking and since I already have AW32 thats what I will stay with, it just nice to be able to get quick input from you guys.
Thanks again and when I get some paint back on it and get it all spit shined I will post a couple of pics of my completely rebuilt splitter, or I should just say new since every piece of it except the I-beam and tires are new.

Back