Hydraulics question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAPITI39

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All
I am a long time lurker, first time poster. Let me start by saying this is an incredible brain bank on this forum with everyones experience and I have learned a tremendous amount already by reading through all of the posts. I am laos very relieved to find out I am not the only one with the wood cutting sickness, its like going home to log on here and see others spending the time and energy for the same purposes.
Anyways I have been unable to lcoate any existing info(maybe I am not in the correct area?)in regards to the issue I have been dealing with. I have an old Log splitter ( briggs motor and a 20 ton ram) Thats about all the info I really have, it has been repainted a few times and no existing stickers with info ( I bought this off of my father who used it for years before he passed away a few years ago). I have had this thing repaired many times at this point but now I am having issues with the hydraulics working intermittenly. It will work great one log and then the next it just stops as it touches the wood like it has no power. The fluid is full, the motor is running strong, just no pwer in the ram. Any ideas that may help me track down the culprit would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.:help:

Sounds like the pump is ka-put. Adding a pressure gauge is a good idea for diagnosing problems. It will let you know if your pump is generating pressure. If it is a leak in the cylinder then the pressure will be ok, but the oil will be blowing past the seals causing the cylinder to not move.

I have had enough pumps go out that I am betting it is the pump. There is a slight chance the pump to motor coupling is slipping, but that would be making a noise and or be noticable.

It don't matter much the brand, the principle is the same for all and the parts don't vary much.
My guess is you have a sticking or broken relief valve in the hydraulic control valve or a bad seal on the cylinders piston.
The piston seal is the easiest to test for. Run the ram all the way out and shut the machine off. Remove the hose that retracts the ram and plug it. Now start the engine again and try to gently extend the ram. The should be no oil leaking out of the cylinder port you removed the hose from, and the motor should labour.
If there is this oil shooting out, it is going by your cylinder piston, meaning its seals are shot. Note the seals can be a intermittent problem that will worsen if they are the plastic poly pack seals. So try it a few times, by stopping the engine and relieving the pressure with the valve handle.
If the motor just keeps running and does not even grunt a little, then it would seem you have little or no pressure.
Next step.
You need to T a pressure gauge (3000 psi) into the port going into the back (extend) side of the cylinder and take a pressure reading, It should be somewhere between 2000 and 3000 psi depending on the pump and relief valve settings, which may vary slightly by model of splitter.
If you post a picture of your valve, we can point you to where the relief is located. It will need changed out or adjusted depending on the model/style of valve used.
Ken

Last edited:
Couple thoughts

Check the coupling between the pump and motor. It may be worn and slipping under load.

Next step would be to get a gauge in the pressure line. If there is no pressure build up as you split, that means the oil is taking an easier path to the tank. Try to adjust the relief valve, no more than 1/4 turn max. at a time. If this has no affect it's now time to determine where the oil is by-passing, pump, valve or cylinder.

Good Luck

Take Care

Back