hydraulics question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey517

Living the Medicare dream
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to get out and split some ash, oak, and elm rounds that had been sitting all winter. After about 2 hours, I noticed the control valve was leaking from the rear, and the wedge was retracting slower than normal. I checked and everything was tight.
It's an Ariens 27 ton 6 months old. The valve is an Energy brand. I contacted Ariens, and will be taking it to an Ariens Warranty repair location on Monday. Should be no problem, so that's a good thing.

Would I be damaging anything if I continued to use the splitter, and what would cause this valve to fail? I have not split any really tough stuff, mostly just red oak and ash that was all straight grained. Is this something that could be user induced, or simply a parts failure.

And, wether you celebrate Easter or Passover, have a peaceful and enjoyable day.

View attachment 287683View attachment 287684View attachment 287685

The valve has a damaged O-ring on the back of the spool. The dust cover with the brand name on it has a small vent groove that allows fluid to leak out when the O-ring fails.

Nothing you did during use should cause the leakage.

No draining required. There will only be a little fluid loss during spool removal. If no metal damage and only a O-ring replacement a 15-30 minute job.
The valve can be repaired in place by just removing the spool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like an easy fix, but I'm gonna keep the warranty appointment tomorrow and left them handle it.

The valve is the highest point on the machine...

Would continued use in this state cause additional damage or cause another component to fail? Just wonder and trying to learn a little about hydraulics.

The o-ring in the valve body is not a standard o-ring. We use a 90 durometer o-ring, not the standard 70 durometer. The 70 will not hold up. It is part of the seal kit for the valve, p/n 0A007238. You can purchase it on line here:
Log Splitter Valve and Accessories by Energy® Manufacturing Company, Inc.

Steve Hansen
Applications Engineer
Energy Manufacturing Co., Inc. /
Williams Machine & Tool Co.
(319)-465-3537 X-402
(319)-465-5279 FAX
[email protected]

Back