Hyway 660 cylinder kit review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, it almost made it thru one tank......

It was running 32:1 mix, and tuned pig rich, like I do all my "new" top ends, but it hosed the rings (OEM I might add) in the first tank of fuel, and started smearing itself on the exhaust side.

Here you can see the crazy wear on the rings. The top edge took a pounding, and started rounding them over. I dont think they would had lasted a second tank.

87FA134E-4718-4D83-8946-AFDD2549AE97-413-000000232D4DB73C_zps39f0f85b.jpg

7584A4CB-023F-44A4-9925-AD0E80584A33-413-000000230E48C85C_zpsa4b431b6.jpg

52B2F385-76CC-4712-A6DF-248998918A92-413-000000231FB8FBAE_zps1660fec2.jpg

So....

IMHO, these are not a bolt on and go kit. They will need rework on the exhaust port roof, to add a radius as to not eat the rings off. Its just too square.

I will be re-shaping the exhaust port roof, and installing a new meteor piston and giving it another go. I dont expect any problems, as the rest of the kit looks super nice, but I hate to take the exhaust up more, but aint no way around it. Im going to try to keep it under 170° duration, if at all possible. I might have to widen it a touch to do that.

So there there you have it, for now...

It's definitely got some time on it. Probably the hardest thing on a saw besides milling has to be stumping.

That's da plan. :)

That would be slick. It'll be going to the mill to cut lumber stacks and buck logs. It's gonna get used all day, everyday.

It was lean when it got here. Plug was pretty white too. What was weird was from the plug back back to the intake was clean as a whistle.

2B469E05-D585-4CA2-A96E-A1F650FBF3BA-122-00000000A0662BF9_zps55f72a59.jpg

That to me looks like liquid cooled engine oil run in an air cooled engine. It makes a real mess on the hot side.

Well at least we know what not to buy. Or what to do to it before we run it. And that's the purpose of these threads anyway.

Wiggs needs some pie.

Hopefully Tbone has better luck.

I may regret saying this but, we all seen it coming. You are the humble owner of a very ####ty day :( I don't think any of us expected it to munch the rings quite that fast. That part was not "plug N play." :bang:

Give Wiggs beer and pie and labor time and rings and piston and ...

Thanks Jer for taking your time to show us what won't work....... :bowdown:

Also thanks needs to go the Randy and Henry for spending their money supplying these kits and postage.

This is not a loss......I hope we all see that. These results will be shown to the manufacturer, that I'm sure of. It's been my experience that the 066 kit is the worst for exhaust shape...and us reshaping the port is not a solution I'm comfortable with. They must do better.

Yikes!

Wiggs, Thank you very much for taking the time to do this thread and sharing your findings. Hopefully the manufacturer will resolve the obvious issues so we have a high quality AM alternative.

Greg

Latest posts

Back