I Give Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filing in the wrong direction. It looks like you are filing downward into the link, not towards the rear of the cutter. The leading edge of the file should be making contact with the bottom of the cutter and the file diameter should be slighty larger than the cutter so you get a good edge with the right angle.

10b.jpg

Cheap solution - go to Lowes or your local Husky dealer, get a file guide and use it to learn how the file works to sharpen the cutter and how to set the rakers

IMGP8489.jpg

IMGP8491.jpg

Filing in the wrong direction. It looks like you are filing downward into the link, not towards the rear of the cutter. The leading edge of the file should be making contact with the bottom of the cutter and the file diameter should be slighty larger than the cutter so you get a good edge with the right angle.

10b.jpg

Cheap solution - go to Lowes or your local Husky dealer, get a file guide and use it to learn how the file works to sharpen the cutter and how to set the rakers

IMGP8489.jpg

IMGP8491.jpg

rep for you sir! good post and great pictures.

That's right - I gvie up. I have tried everything - a grandberg, a grinder and a round file. I can not get my MS441 to cut. I just broke down and took a 114 DL chain to a shop to be sharpened - they ruined the chain.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I was thinking about buying a timberline sharpener but don't want to put that much down on one until I know it really works.

I was wondering if anyone out there with a timberline would consider sharpening my chain for me as proof that they really work. I of course would pay to ship the chain to and from as well as money for a new cutter because I know those wear out. Just a thought if anyone is interested in proving that the timberline works.

The only other thing to do is to post pictures here to see if anyone can figure out what I a doing wrong - but I am really fed up.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

how did the shop ruin your chain? you said you dont know how to sharpen yet you can tell if someone else does?my guess also is having a 36 bars on your saw allows you to run it into the ground,alot.

is it possible i am putting too much force on the file? I bear down pretty hard.
Yes, if you are in fact pushing 'down'. Pust the file into the cutter and up a little. Pay close attention to the 'cutting edge' at the top of the tooth and make it sharp.

I have seen those husky file guides berfore - I just don't know which one to buy for my chain!
Just get the one for 3/8 chain.

Oh and get a shorter bar! :msp_smile:

is it possible i am putting too much force on the file? I bear down pretty hard.

Probably not, just applying it in the wrong direction I think

10b1.jpg

I have seen those husky file guides berfore - I just don't know which one to buy for my chain!

The guides are used according to chain pitch. They are marked for whatever you are using. If you have 3/8 or .375 pitch get the one marked as such.

One thing I notice a lot with people who are new to filing chains is that they file like its a race. Take it one stroke at a time, slowly, until you get the perfect edge.

View attachment 250219

And this would be the second thing i'd try to achieve with the cutters, and probably use a slightly bigger file... But i'm still learning so i'm just shooting in the dark here. :D

That would be good for a chisel chain, his appears to be a semi-chisel. You won't get that sharp corner on a semi-chisel.

Just try and take off as little material as possible. Also remember that the saw teeth are relatively soft and can be easily damaged. When the file is doing it properly you will be able to feel it as well as tiny metal particles falling from the end of the file.Ken

I may be new to sharpening but...not stoopid. The shop actually left hugh burs on the chain I took to them - I am talking maybe a 3/8 inch long piece of metal burr bent back. The chain was unusable.

Get a couple shorter loops of round-filed chisel chain from Oregon (it seems softer and easier to file) and try practicing on that. EDIT: cut some, then touch up the not-yet-trashed edge, then cut some more, touch up some more...it's much easier to learn that way than trying to hand-file a rocked out chain.

My freehand sharpening was crap until all of a sudden one day it just clicked for me. Now it's really good if I am patient enough, though I usually grind anyway. Even my freehand sharpening of square chisel is finally getting better, so I think it's just a practice thing like others said.

I am gonna try again tomorrow PM and post more pictures - I wll go easier on the chain and think about angle and puching back into the chain instead of down.

Latest posts

Back