I got the Makita 6401 upgrade itch.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt93eg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
You guys know how this stuff goes, when it comes to saws we might not NEED but we sure WANT. I have had the itch to upgrade my 6401 for probably a month, thought I could scratch it but can't seem to. I sure don't need to do it. It currently has a base gasket delete and muffler mod and it runs strong. I also have a 390XP so I surely don't need to do it from a displacement perspective.

If I do it I will be going with the OEM 7910 cylinder, piston and the new top cover. I run a 22" bar and chain on it and frequently gets buried in Oak. It pulls fine but I think the 79cc would add a lot of smile factor into the equation, it would surely be more fun.

My 6401 and 390XP are my go to saws when I need to get work done so I figure might as well.

I don't know why I made this post. Any reason I shouldn't do it? Other than draining my chainsaw allowance, pulling apart a perfectly good top end and sitting it on my shelf, and the fact I don't need to do it. I can't think of any reasons not to. I think I have issues.:D:crazy:

Put a list together and the vendor you go with. We can both upgrade saws that done need it. I'll need a muffler and the attachy parts for it too to get rid of my cat muffler.

Put a list together and the vendor you go with. We can both upgrade saws that done need it. I'll need a muffler and the attachy parts for it too to get rid of my cat muffler.

If you have the SLR muffler you can heat the crimp and open up the muffler and gut it. Ypu wouldn't need a new muffler if you go that route.

If I do it, it will be with a stock OEM 79cc cylinder but even without it being ported like the vid above it should be a pretty big power difference over the 64cc I would expect.

Very nice saw at 64 cc. Good rental rugged and durable dependable not very exciting. Maybe like dating your sister.
now with same weight and 79 cc fun saw to run. I run 20 inch eight pin most of the time I love it.
I added the heavy duty filter kit. I don’t see any performance change, but I get better filter life and don’t get the sharp chips plugging up into the deep v’s of the original filter. I didn’t touch the muffler it’s a 7900 so it’s an old style muffler only. no cat.

No need for a new muffler. Just open it up and throw the cat insert straight in the trash can where it belongs...

My former rental 6401 I ain't touching.It runs so strong I dare not mess with it until necessary.I love that saw.
You have a point. I'm thinking of ordering up the parts and pieces for this and losing them in my garage. That shouldn't be too hard.

I should probably put together a list of wear items and order those too. Someday, parts will be hard to get. Fuel line. Impulse line. Carb kit. Clutch. Oil pump rebuild kit. What am I missing?

You have a point. I'm thinking of ordering up the parts and pieces for this and losing them in my garage. That shouldn't be too hard.

I should probably put together a list of wear items and order those too. Someday, parts will be hard to get. Fuel line. Impulse line. Carb kit. Clutch. Oil pump rebuild kit. What am I missing?

I agree on stocking some parts would be a good idea. They are to good of a saw to not be able to use down the road due to something breaking and not being able to order a part.

My former rental 6401 I ain't touching.It runs so strong I dare not mess with it until necessary.I love that saw.

Mine runs excellent as well, another reason I am hesitant to mess with it. Like I say my 6401 and 390XP are my go to saws when I go out to cut firewood with the intention of getting work done. They always start easy, run damn good, and are just reliable saws.

I am in the sane situation, I have a 6401 that runs great with heaps or torque, on the shelf for about a year I have had a 79cc OE top end waiting...... I dont use the saw much anymore since getting a EA4300

Mine runs excellent as well, another reason I am hesitant to mess with it. Like I say my 6401 and 390XP are my go to saws when I go out to cut firewood with the intention of getting work done. They always start easy, run damn good, and are just reliable saws.

Easiest solution is to buy another 6400 and upgrade one with a 79cc top end. What happens next is you realize how much more power the 79cc saw has for the same weight as the 64cc saw. Then you go and buy another 79cc top end so you end up with two dolkita 79cc saws! Problem solved!

You guys know how this stuff goes, when it comes to saws we might not NEED but we sure WANT. I have had the itch to upgrade my 6401 for probably a month, thought I could scratch it but can't seem to. I sure don't need to do it. It currently has a base gasket delete and muffler mod and it runs strong. I also have a 390XP so I surely don't need to do it from a displacement perspective.

If I do it I will be going with the OEM 7910 cylinder, piston and the new top cover. I run a 22" bar and chain on it and frequently gets buried in Oak. It pulls fine but I think the 79cc would add a lot of smile factor into the equation, it would surely be more fun.

My 6401 and 390XP are my go to saws when I need to get work done so I figure might as well.

I don't know why I made this post. Any reason I shouldn't do it? Other than draining my chainsaw allowance, pulling apart a perfectly good top end and sitting it on my shelf, and the fact I don't need to do it. I can't think of any reasons not to. I think I have issues.:D:crazy:

Hey i know what a 93eg is...i think lol..i have a 99ek

I had the same problem. Got the new top end from Nate at Performance Outdoor Equipment. Had that little box collecting dust for a years in the shop. One day I was bored and got the itch. Threw the new top end on. Got to cutting and it put an even bigger smile on my face. Don't know why I waited so long...

Of course it wasn't even a week later I found a salvage 'parts saw' for sale for $25 that only really needed a new top end and the carb adjusted. Had been robbed of its recoil and clutch covers. I almost kicked myself for tearing into a perfectly good running saw when I could've just waited for one that needed it. Then I had a moment of clarity where I realized I'd much rather throw a new top end on one that I knew was running right and work out the kinks of the salvage saw with the take off 6401 top end. Win win in the end.

Moral of the story, you want the 79xx top end. It doesn't get quite the mileage per a tank, but it makes you smile more.

Back