I got the Makita 6401 upgrade itch.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a point. I'm thinking of ordering up the parts and pieces for this and losing them in my garage. That shouldn't be too hard.

I should probably put together a list of wear items and order those too. Someday, parts will be hard to get. Fuel line. Impulse line. Carb kit. Clutch. Oil pump rebuild kit. What am I missing?

Parts aren't too hard to get and I don't see the supply chain running dry any time soon. Not that it hurts to have spares. If you do order some, get some springs. Especially if you are heavy handed and like yanking the thing out of a cut or tend to pinch the bar and try to pull it out like a gorilla. If you have the old style spring that attaches to the cylinder, you want the new style with the travel limiter anyways. Same goes for the early carb box cover that didn't have a prefilter screen. Best to upgrade that anyways. Brake band, I managed to have one break on me. Dealer didn't have new, but had a used one in stock that is still doing its job. Oil line, once again the earlier model line tends to dry up and shrink causing your saw to mark its territory more than it should. Air filters, definitely a good thing to have around.

On/off switch wouldn't hurt, but I would find a husqvarna dealer and get one that auto resets to on that'll fit, just because it is convenient, and might save you some headache of flooding the saw if you start yanking on it and forgot to switch it to on. Fuel and oil caps can also be upgraded to the new husqvarna flippy caps, which reminds me I need to order those items for mine to make life more convenient.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you don't have a good dealer already I'd contact Nate(@fordf150) at Performance Outdoor Equipment. He is a great guy and does a real good job of taking care of us forum members. You can message him here, but I'd look up and call the shop as he is really busy these days. Beyond dolkita pars, he can get most anything from the other brands. Has a good stock of lightweight bars and good prices on chain. He is pretty much my go to even for Steahl stuff as all my local dealers are true shidiots and painful to deal with.

I had the same problem. Got the new top end from Nate at Performance Outdoor Equipment. Had that little box collecting dust for a years in the shop. One day I was bored and got the itch. Threw the new top end on. Got to cutting and it put an even bigger smile on my face. Don't know why I waited so long...

Of course it wasn't even a week later I found a salvage 'parts saw' for sale for $25 that only really needed a new top end and the carb adjusted. Had been robbed of its recoil and clutch covers. I almost kicked myself for tearing into a perfectly good running saw when I could've just waited for one that needed it. Then I had a moment of clarity where I realized I'd much rather throw a new top end on one that I knew was running right and work out the kinks of the salvage saw with the take off 6401 top end. Win win in the end.

Moral of the story, you want the 79xx top end. It doesn't get quite the mileage per a tank, but it makes you smile more.

Thank you for sharing, Im sold on doing it, I just need to get over letting go of the money.

Sounds like you know for sure. I sold the car a few years ago. Great commuter car. I had taken very good care of it and had it repainted in 2009ish. Wish now I still had it.
Sold mine to get out of debt a while ago, bought a 99 ek with 210k and ran the heck out of it.
Last I knew my old eg was about 7 miles from where we live now, the 99 is still here for parts and I have a 97 hatch I'm running for a winter beater :happy:.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 8.21.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 8.21.37 PM.png
    706.4 KB · Views: 17
Sold mine to get out of debt a while ago, bought a 99 ek with 210k and ran the heck out of it.
Last I knew my old eg was about 7 miles from where we live now, the 99 is still here for parts and I have a 97 hatch I'm running for a winter beater :happy:.

Thats awesome, great cars they are and easy to work on. My family has had quite a few of them. I had the 93, my older brother also had a 93, my twin brother had a 95. My Mom and Dad still currently have two 94s. My Grandmother had a 92.

The 92 my Grandmother had I am now currently driving. After she passed away my Uncle drove it for a long time. Then my Step Daughter bought it from him. While she had it I re-did a lot of stuff. She then bought a 01 Accord so I bought the 92 off of her. It is now my drive to work car. Work is only 12 miles round trip so I hardly ever put gas in it, it seems.

I just wish it had a manual trans like my 93 did, the 92 I drive currently is an Auto. And while we are on the subject of Civics, my Wife drives an 08. The 08 is much more aggravating to work on and IMO not built like the 89-00 models were.

Thats awesome, great cars they are and easy to work on. My family has had quite a few of them. I had the 93, my older brother also had a 93, my twin brother had a 95. My Mom and Dad still currently have two 94s. My Grandmother had a 92.

The 92 my Grandmother had I am now currently driving. After she passed away my Uncle drove it for a long time. Then my Step Daughter bought it from him. While she had it I re-did a lot of stuff. She then bought a 01 Accord so I bought the 92 off of her. It is now my drive to work car. Work is only 12 miles round trip so I hardly ever put gas in it, it seems.

I just wish it had a manual trans like my 93 did, the 92 I drive currently is an Auto. And while we are on the subject of Civics, my Wife drives an 08. The 08 is much more aggravating to work on and IMO not built like the 89-00 models were.

My wifes is a 2012 civic lx so far we have put 150k miles on it only thing i have had to do is put a starter on it besides basic maintenance...it has been super reliable and it gets beat to death delivering phone books and newspapers.

My wifes is a 2012 civic lx so far we have put 150k miles on it only thing i have had to do is put a starter on it besides basic maintenance...it has been super reliable and it gets beat to death delivering phone books and newspapers.

You are right, they are reliable. My wife's 2008 engine wise has been flawless. It's been little things like the sun visors breaking, engine mounts going bad causing horrible vibrations. Had to work on the A/C a couple times. It still been a good car so I shouldn't complain.

I'm not up to speed on the K-series stuff. My 93 I did swap in a bare bones B-series. A B18B1 out of an intergra LS and mated it up with a GSR trans. I always had plans to turbocharge it but never did.

Hell yeah thats a nice upgrade over the d series. I like the b20 bottoms with b16 or b18 vtec head, they make good power.. Always wanted to do an h swap to a eg or ek but havent ever got around to it yet. There are plenty 3- 400hp stock internal turbo bs out there. They do make and hold good power. I love how easy to work on egs and eks are and the countless swaps that you can easily do to them. Ive yet to build a turbo car but that is def the best bang for your buck to make power...cool to see a fellow honda enthusiast on here!

Hell yeah thats a nice upgrade over the d series. I like the b20 bottoms with b16 or b18 vtec head, they make good power.. Always wanted to do an h swap to a eg or ek but havent ever got around to it yet. There are plenty 3- 400hp stock internal turbo bs out there. They do make and hold good power. I love how easy to work on egs and eks are and the countless swaps that you can easily do to them. Ive yet to build a turbo car but that is def the best bang for your buck to make power...cool to see a fellow honda enthusiast on here!

I always wanted to do an H22 as well. That would have been sweet for sure. Never did it or the Turbo. The B-Series swaps are just so easy it just a popular option. But yeah the B18B1 with the GSR trans was very nice compared to the D16Z6 that was in it. The Z6s are good engines but the LS engine just pulled off the bottom at low RPMs alot better. Fun car to drive all while getting 35-36MPG:D

Done yet?

I just ordered it before I posted so I gotta wait for it to get here. Once I get a tracking number and see the delivery date If time permits I will go ahead and get the 64cc topemd off and everything clean. Ohio is around 7 hours from me so maybe it will make it to me by the weekend but I wont hold my breath.

I will be sure to let you guys know what I think of the 79cc. :D

I don't know why I didn't bring it up before but the nwp big bore kit is actually of good quality. I had one before and it ran very good with just a muffler mod. Let me find the video. I ended up selling that saw to a friend who down the road had me port it. Ported like an Oem cylinder. No chipping plating or anything.

Back