I got the Makita 6401 upgrade itch.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to update this. I have probably 6 tanks of fuel through the Mahle 79cc topend. All I can say is wow, what a runner. Anyone that still has the 64cc and is thinking about the 79cc, do it. As others on here said, this saw now makes me smile, it flat out rips.

All I can say is wow, what a runner. Anyone that still has the 64cc and is thinking about the 79cc, do it. As others on here said, this saw now makes me smile, it flat out rips.
This is how I feel about ported saws compared to stock

Got mine upgraded too, 6 tanks in so far, I think I have it tuned pretty fat, which I'm happy with as it's safe. I added about a turn to the L, 3/4 on H and adjusted in the idle as it would stall after backing off quickly in the cut. IMG_20200417_163345.jpg

Nice looking saws guys. I currently am running mine with a 22" bar. I have a 28" on my 390XP and also have a 36" for occasional use so I use it on the bigger stuff. With the 22" the 79cc just flat rips and I can lean hard on it. Fun as hell.

Any reason I shouldn't do it? Other than draining my chainsaw allowance, pulling apart a perfectly good top end and sitting it on my shelf, and the fact I don't need to do it. I can't think of any reasons not to. I think I have issues.:D:crazy:

Only three reasons not to:
1. cost (especially if the 6401 still runs strong)
2. fuel economy; she's a thirsty girl
3. you'll want AT LEAST a 24" bar to even START to take advantage of the extra power. Running a 20" bar you won't notice much of a difference.

Only three reasons not to:
1. cost (especially if the 6401 still runs strong)
2. fuel economy; she's a thirsty girl
3. you'll want AT LEAST a 24" bar to even START to take advantage of the extra power. Running a 20" bar you won't notice much of a difference.

I have had the 22" buried in oak multiple times. There is a for sure difference between the 79cc and 64cc. Not as much obviously as with a longer bar but still a big leap IMO. Seat of the pants wise anyways.

Latest posts

Back