I got wood and it got cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been #####ing about not having any wood and burn times ect and the last few days my wood guy that I thought was dead showed up with core after cord of good dry black popalar .
now I know black popalar is the lowest grade of wood around here but its dry and I always say dry is good.
today it is minus 29c and has been about that for the last 3 days .. my burn times with this dry black popalar is 12 to 16 hours 12 during the night with the most demand and 16 during the day .
I AM HAPPY

I'm glad you are warm and happy. At that temp, those burn times don't sound too bad. Better burning low grade wood than paying for fuel.

Matt

Heat is heat! Do what u gota do.
I'd rather be burning wood, no matter the species.

minus 29? whew..
Where do you live Bassman ?
Black poplar. I've never heard of that species, do you have a pic ?
I'm glad things are warm...being cold or buying petroleum products don't make a fellow happy...

I live in yorkton sask.
I will post a pic of black popalar .
around here we have white and black popalar mainly with some birch a few elm but the dutch elm disease is taking care of them and alot of farmer planted evergreen which would be spruce.
If you see a ad in the paper for wood it is 90% white popalar and the rest birch the popalar sell for $50 to $100 for a half ton you load it up load and the birch starts at about the $175 and goes up.
Hard to find a guy that will deliver and if they do they are just delivering small half ton loads and the guys that I call wood guys are running 3 tons and are in the logging business that is about 3 hours away but have some sort of bought or home made processor that brings the delivered price down to around $75 for a full cord.
I have talked to my wood guy from last year and he is quitting his trucking job to sell wood full time next year .
whatever happens in the end I don't care as long as I have good dry wood to burn.
Today it is warming up to around minus 15c and I can deal with that .

thanks for the replies as it is nice to hear from people that also heat with wood and understand what I feel like .
tell a regular home owner running gas and he says to just crank up the heat .... they just dont get it.

Latest posts

Back