I hiss, but I'm not a snake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually never mind about the second one...I think only cows moo? so that doesn't even make sense:dizzy:...ehh whatever
im still not sure on the 1st one though...so anyone please help me out!
:laughing: you quoted your own post?!?!? and your comments make complete sense!!!! :eek::dizzy: guess I'm not the only one drinking my dinner:laughing::ices_rofl::laughing:

...what approximate MC is the minimum to cause wood to hiss/boil water out of the ends...
Oh no, I'm shakin' 'n' droolin'... my eyes are crossed 'n' I've stopped breathin'... I'm gonna' explode.
A question... that... I ain't got... an... answer for (I know, I know... hard to believe).
Now you've ruined my day... I'm gonna' haf'ta spend all day readin' Wikipedia, formulatin' an hypothesis (or is it hypotenuse :rare2:... nope, pretty sure it's hypothesis) plus plan my argument, and bank up some examples based on billiard balls for when the engineers try to slap it down.
It's gonna' be a long day...

Just thinkin' out loud (keyboard style)...

The actual moisture content to cause hissin'/boilin' must be relative to to several things... including wood density, structure and the temperature of the fire (or temperature increase rate of the hissin' wood). I almost never see American Elm hiss 'n' boil, even though I know it ain't as dry as desired... and if I do, it's near always an un-split round. On the other hand, I'll get the random split of oak that hisses even though it's 3 or 4 years seasoned. I've burned green (split) Silver Maple in the fire pit without any hissin'/boilin'... but water bubbles out'a not-so-dry Black Cherry.

As I understand it... as the water heats it expands and/or converts to steam (further expansion) building pressure inside the wood. When the pressure builds to a certain point (relative to water temperature) it prevents the conversion into steam. The pressure forces the water out'a the wood where it instantly boils and/or converts to steam as it's no longer under pressure (causin' the hissin' sound).

OK... so with that in mind... a less dense wood, with a more open grain structure, will allow more of the water to expand/convert into steam, and provide a less resistive escape path (i.e., steam at lower temperature, lower pressure... meanin' no hissin' and exterior boilin'). What you get is a lazy escape of steam indiscernible from smoke unless you look really close. But... if you increase the temperature increase rate actin' on the less dense wood (or add more water), it would be possible to (at least in my hypothesis :D) build enough pressure to cause hissin' 'n' exterior boilin'.

So... the answer is... there ain't a "minimum" moisture content... it all depends.
And I didn't even need Wikipedia :D

And... and... I only need 34 more :laughing:

Just thinkin' out loud (keyboard style)...

The actual moisture content to cause hissin'/boilin' must be relative to to several things... including wood density, structure and the temperature of the fire (or temperature increase rate of the hissin' wood). I almost never see American Elm hiss 'n' boil, even though I know it ain't as dry as desired... and if I do, it's near always an un-split round. On the other hand, I'll get the random split of oak that hisses even though it's 3 or 4 years seasoned. I've burned green (split) Silver Maple in the fire pit without any hissin'/boilin'... but water bubbles out'a not-so-dry Black Cherry.

As I understand it... as the water heats it expands and/or converts to steam (further expansion) building pressure inside the wood. When the pressure builds to a certain point (relative to water temperature) it prevents the conversion into steam. The pressure forces the water out'a the wood where it instantly boils and/or converts to steam as it's no longer under pressure (causin' the hissin' sound).

OK... so with that in mind... a less dense wood, with a more open grain structure, will allow more of the water to expand/convert into steam, and provide a less resistive escape path (i.e., steam at lower temperature, lower pressure... meanin' no hissin' and exterior boilin'). What you get is a lazy escape of steam indiscernible from smoke unless you look really close. But... if you increase the temperature increase rate actin' on the less dense wood (or add more water), it would be possible to (at least in my hypothesis :D) build enough pressure to cause hissin' 'n' exterior boilin'.

So... the answer is... there ain't a "minimum" moisture content... it all depends.
And I didn't even need Wikipedia :D

And... and... I only need 34 more :laughing:

damn it spider...get with the program! stop derailing this thread...
I just posted this to get and give likes
this has nothing to do with cats, snakes or cows...and certainly not about wood...what do you think this is... some wood burning forum? :dumb:

Before this goes totally derailed I will say this in response to @Whitespider.

I rarely see aspen sizzle unless it's straight from a live tree. Same with birch. Seems that red maple will take a lot longer to not sizzle. But if you have it on a campfire it sizzles maple sugar so it's kind of cool. Balsam is really sappy and the highest MC wood that I cut. It will bubble sap out of the ends but that burns as it comes out so not all bad.

damn it spider...get with the program! stop derailing this thread... this has nothing to do with cats, snakes or cows...and certainly not about wood...what do you think this is... some wood burning forum? :dumb:

so could you give us the answers already??? its been like 9 hours already!

huh? wait what's the kwestion?? :baba:

Back