I just found a sub for stumpgrinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bring a 36" 395 xp they like firewood or they learn to:laugh: I will say on my gigs there all sizes and yes 25% big uns 65% med and the rest small 12" so lets say I took a week which
I promise would be all it took 6000 in a week minus fuel say 350.00 minus lodging say 700 so
4900.00 for five days of golf and stumping not too bar fooooooooooooor lol.

Those 72 I did, there were big uns and then there were BIGGER uns like in the picture. There weren't ANY 12 inchers.

Yeah I sometimes do too depending on how sharp my teeth are you got it made we have all rock ,quartz,granite,crystal etc.

Yeah, if I don't hit anything (like that metal circular saw blade I didn't see on that one job that knocked the tips off 4 teeth and sheared the 5th tooth all the way off the wheel) I can get 20 hours or more out of the lead teeth before changing them.

Those 72 I did, there were big uns and then there were BIGGER uns like in the picture. There weren't ANY 12 inchers.

I have had those jobs too but golf courses usually have all sizes. I can burn a course up with my setup . I will say in those big only jobs 20 to 25 I can make money and I could get 72 done in a two days especially now with more light. I am out at the crack of dawn and back at the setting sun ya know!

I have had those jobs too but golf courses usually have all sizes. I can burn a course up with my setup . I will say in those big only jobs 20 to 25 I can make money and I could get 72 done in a two days especially now with more light. I am out at the crack of dawn and back at the setting sun ya know!

The courses I work on demand I'm off the course by 3:00. I'm also not allowed to drive on the fairways except during the driest parts of the year and only at specific points. Makes for lots of machine walking.

The courses I work on demand I'm off the course by 3:00. I'm also not allowed to drive on the fairways except during the driest parts of the year and only at specific points. Makes for lots of machine walking.

Yup that is a factor in my contract it is stated they will have to show me sensitive areas. I
just grind and go their crew comes around behind to fill and clean up and the top keeper leads me by cart! I do understand it has to be dry firm soil before I roll out on the course with my dully and tow many of the stumps are by the cart path some are in low areas and they either stop irrigation or repair the tracks because at 12 per stump I rock and roll.

you guys are making me feel like im ripping people off. Ive had a $100 minimum since 03 or 04. My dad said he had a $75min back in 94 but we live in an Illinois gravel pit area. Go through alot of teeth around here. Of course when the old man was still around he was 1 of maybe 10 guys round here with that big a machine, nowadays must be something like 50. Plus the rental places

I know what your sayin. I got in the tree service biz in 07'. When 2 of my neighbors saw how good I was doing with it they went out and bought equipment. I do tree work and lawn care. One neighbor bought not one but two chippers. Brush bandits of coarse, thats what I have. And the other went and bought a zero turn mower. Cub cadet of coarse. Then they both have the balls to stop by and talk about how they are getting in the biz of trees and lawns and ask me where I get my tree gear from. It took a lot of self control not to slap them both!

you guys are making me feel like im ripping people off. Ive had a $100 minimum since 03 or 04. My dad said he had a $75min back in 94 but we live in an Illinois gravel pit area. Go through alot of teeth around here. Of course when the old man was still around he was 1 of maybe 10 guys round here with that big a machine, nowadays must be something like 50. Plus the rental places

Hmmmmmmmmmm gravel pit is way better than big rock but I am confused all I saw in Illinois was miles of corn and po---o shops did I miss your area?

Yeah 12000 for that stump job is more than plenty, grind and leave. I don't care if it hills or swamp or what, that is still good money.

I think 12 bucks per stump is a little low I have cheaped on alot of stumps but 12 is really low.

I like knowing that I can still workk a deal with folks and still average around 200 per hour, because the machine is so dang fast.

Yeah 12000 for that stump job is more than plenty, grind and leave. I don't care if it hills or swamp or what, that is still good money.

I think 12 bucks per stump is a little low I have cheaped on alot of stumps but 12 is really low.

I like knowing that I can still workk a deal with folks and still average around 200 per hour, because the machine is so dang fast.

Last year it was 10 I went up 2 this year as they know my work now and I was worried about losing the gig as it is so close to home! I will admit it is cheap but our market is brutal here and I want what yearly contracts I can retain! I do some other contracts for 20 to 25 per stump and I get several of those one stump calls and my minimum kicks in on those. I don't have to get rich just make a living and I used to be the high bid did not get no work and what I call high many of you in different states would call giving it away. It is very hard to get 750.00 for say a 100' pine 25"dbh roped down,hauled off and stump ground:cry:

What he didn't mention is that for $20.. he saws off the stump at ground level. FOr $120.. he'll actually grind it with his machine !! :)

read the "starting at" price. that does not mean he will do all stump for that price. that would be the minimum price for the stump(assuming a small stump). that means that prices will vary from stump to stump. that doesn't mean that price for all stumps.

i have done small stumps at that price but i also have a very small stump grinder that will fit in a trunk and is made for small trees, shrubs, and bushes that makes 20 a good price and only costing maybe 5 for expenses.

if were talking a stump to where the bobcat and attachment is needed then i would bid no less than 80 on up

Last edited:
read the "starting at" price. that does not mean he will do all stump for that price. that would be the minimum price for the stump(assuming a small stump). that means that prices will vary from stump to stump. that doesn't mean that price for all stumps.

i have done small stumps at that price but i also have a very small stump grinder that will fit in a trunk and is made for small trees, shrubs, and bushes that makes 20 a good price and only costing maybe 5 for expenses.

if were talking a stump to where the bobcat and attachment is needed then i would bid no less than 80 on up

If your driving somewhere to go and do a job for 20.00. Come on unless its your next door neighbor to go and drive across town or even several blocks for 20.00. To load and unload a bobcat and an expensive attachment pull it across town load and unload and chain up and clean up for 80.00. Holy cow man at your rates you'd end up paying yourself 5.00 an hour after you break down your costs.

Now it would all make sense for 20.00 a stump if your were going to do 10 or 15 small stumps. Heck I've even quoted 5.00 a stump but then their were 300 small stumps. But to go and do one stump for 20.00 I just can't see it. Most guys mowing lawns charge more than that for a tiny lot and thats when their on a weekly route.

I don't find it hard at all to get 750 for a pine roped down. Keep in mind that you are doing a dangerous job. I don't buy into the cheap price gets the work. Quality is where its at. Do good work and sell yourself on jobs you will be just fine. And last but not least you are in business to make money, if you happen to get rich doing so then so be it. Screw getting by, I can go work at the local mill if I would like to get by and have a job.

I don't find it hard at all to get 750 for a pine roped down. Keep in mind that you are doing a dangerous job. I don't buy into the cheap price gets the work. Quality is where its at. Do good work and sell yourself on jobs you will be just fine. And last but not least you are in business to make money, if you happen to get rich doing so then so be it. Screw getting by, I can go work at the local mill if I would like to get by and have a job.

I do excellent work is why I sometime can get 750 the customer here goes cheap my friend stay there if you find it easy.

Hmmmmmmmmmm gravel pit is way better than big rock but I am confused all I saw in Illinois was miles of corn and po---o shops did I miss your area?

You must have been in southern or western Illinois. Here, northwest of Chicago, we have a world renowned deposit of gravel and bank run, if you know what that is. Anybody who knows any thing about the gravel deposits of the world could tell you that there is more gravel in mchenry county then anywhere else on earth. That is a proven fact. We also have large stones all over the place. Glacial drift they tell me. Yea. I wish I was in Cook County. They have nothing but black dirt. Here in mchenry, its real easy to wipe out a hundred bucks worth of teeth in a single stump. And for what its worth, all the #### shops are off of 94 in wiscon.

You must have been in southern or western Illinois. Here, northwest of Chicago, we have a world renowned deposit of gravel and bank run, if you know what that is. Anybody who knows any thing about the gravel deposits of the world could tell you that there is more gravel in mchenry county then anywhere else on earth. That is a proven fact. We also have large stones all over the place. Glacial drift they tell me. Yea. I wish I was in Cook County. They have nothing but black dirt. Here in mchenry, its real easy to wipe out a hundred bucks worth of teeth in a single stump. And for what its worth, all the #### shops are off of 94 in wiscon.

I hope to never be i Chicago again I ended up in the worst part of the heights once trying to take a shortcut then ended up in Gary Ind which seemed even worse. I felt like a ho in church and was sure not looking at gravel lol.

oh gawd! Gary!?!! how did you like the smell? i hope you had a gas mask.

I was too worried about possible flying projectile's to breath but all was good no serious problems just a bunch of what you doing down here as I drove by each time I would hear something my foot would get heavier lol:cheers: I ain't no city boy ya know had a blue bandanna around my neck and a cowboy hat!

Back