I like Mike

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumper

One Man Band
Reaction score
Since I've started frequenting the site, Mike Maas and I have disagreed about Poulans, power pruners, pole saws, pipsqueaks (the 019T) and I don't recall what else. Mike,I just wanted to say that even though our opinions differ I still consider what you have to say.
Some time ago when the subject of spiking came up I said that I had never used them. Mike suggested that they would be useful in removals.(Lots of others seem to share that opinion with The Treespyder being a notable exception- but of course Spydy is rumored to be not much bigger than a squirrel and can find adequate support on the remains of a memory of a branch that used to be there---failing that he can hang for a minute 30 on a brief description ;) Tongue is firmly in cheek Spydy!) The bottom line is that I thought about it and looked around at all the hybrid poplars in town that are dying due to drought and Cytospora canker and decided that this Old Dog might benefit from some new tricks. I obtained a set of climbers, got some instruction, did a few low level practice sessions (up 3 feet and back down) and today I used them on a removal. Thanks Mike and all. It DOES make blocking down a spar easier.

Someone disagree with Mike? i would never do such a thing!

Spikes (that i used to use all the time), tend to get in my way now somewhat. So i don't tend to wear'em on easier removals. But probably on all removals with steep verticals, and for extra bite for safety on topping 'em. Last week i wore 'em on a removal jsut to maintain skills with 'em.

It fricking racks my nerves, gets under my skin, goes against my grain, makes me whince in pain but................. i agree "if you tie in just like non-spike climbing you'lll be safe." like a second check.

Wow, that hurt so bad i must go look for pain killers. LMAO. Is St. Joseph's Aspirin ok for squirrel weights?

Yes, I definitely wish to keep myself tied in at all times. Mike, I assume you mean useful on Amercan Elm removals ? I've got a Siberian Elm removal coming up that looks like a multi-masted ship-a collection of straight spars "stuck" on scaffold branches.- Should prove useful there.

Since I cannot throw a rope well, I find gaffs very usefull on long stems without branches. Much easier on my back to just flip my lanyard around it and walk up. I couldn't imagine doing a large removal without them.
Which reminds me, I need to go touch up my gaffs for some big removals coming up tomorrow and Monday.

Let me confess that i too have tangled and tossed with Mike's ideas, sometimes to come out seeing it his way; but meant that to be s-elf evident in previous post.

Here i wish to 'fess up to tossing and turning, debating with another whom i've had to see some things their way in the end around here a few times, as i have stretched and expanded my own understanding to their's- (drum roll) Mr. Tom Dunlap! Honorable mention to Rog and Joe (not seen enough around here) Hash!

Also wish, OxMan was around here more, cuz i really wanted to pick his brain on the knotching and other stuff that would lend more insight to my tasks, by observing him testing these things at an escalated level!

So dis-agree-meant isn't all ways bad, sometimes it is just a process of working, stretching and testing things into a tight set of closely held understood principals you have trusted and referred to for years, testing them in many ways. So, this is moslty with people in mind that we are not always feeling like we are on the same side, but find ourselves to be as the dust settles. This is to recognize and share that part of all of this, and how it can be a positive thing, if taken right. Perhaps a soft reminder, to try to keep an even keel inside; and not take stuff wrong as we all grow here.

Too many people to thank beyond that for what i've learned and had reinforced here; those are just the foremost that i've 'locked horns' with, grown to respect our diffrences and contributions; while carefully walking the line of not having intentions and passions being misunderstood.

Thanx All, listed or not.

Last edited:
If we all agreed with each other, then we would just be patting our backs and saying how great we all are. Honest discourse is why I stay.

I just cant stand it when people stat taking petty swipes.

MM,
Who says we both can't be right?... maybe that's what we all get to learn..
And seriously.. the concept of right and wrong is way too black and white for my taste... especially in tree work where there are sooooo many variables. Right (and wrong) refers in a way to morality.
About the closest I get to that is when the issue is spiking live trees.. even then I force myself to resist.. Making the other guy wrong.. So I can be right.
Now if I can only figure out how to do all that with my wife... That'd be something to write about..
God Bless,
Daniel

Back