I may go fall timber in Idaho?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
An opportunity to go fall timber in central Idaho came up for me Sunday morning. It was rather weird actually.

I had dreamt all night that I was on a unit falling timber (rarely do I dream of working in the woods any more). I woke up, and shortly after, logged into Facebook.

I posted on a buddies unrelated comment (he's a timberbeast), and he posted back to call him right away. I did, and he told me there was a position open with the company, and I should giver hell.

I would be able to bunk at his place all week, and drive back home (4.5 hours) Friday after work.

It's a fair day wage, and the owner's a good bossman to work for I hear. I have a lot to consider before leaping in, but I can't sit around forever to make up my mind either, or the position will get filled I'm sure.

Word is though, the guys having a hell of a time finding a saw. One thing comes to mind, and that's ND. A lot of guys from here are working over in the oilfields, so I can only imagine it's the same in ID. The second reason is, a lot of the 60+ guys are rotating out, and there aren't any youngsters positioned to fill their boots.

If you're the praying type, I'd appreciate some prayers on this, and if you ain't the praying type. . . I'd appreciate some prayers on this. LOL

Sounds like a good gig! Best of luck to ya. I don't know how you logger/faller types travel for work the way you do! My little-lady would all but hang me if I said I was gone be gone all week long. As if I hadn't made it clear in previous posts, you guys have my outright respect for your sacrifices.

But with all that being said.... There is the whole Montana vs. Idaho thing to consider.... :)

LOL, you ain't helpin' Randy! Hahaha

Ya think If I show up holdin' an old Mac, the bossman will look at me funny? :hmm3grin2orange:

oh, and don't woory 'bout your AS account.
we'll take good care of it during the week... :laugh::laugh:

Now that's scary!! :laugh:

6:30am to 12:30pm. . . Not bad hours, and I guess I can elect to work more if I want.

I ain't in no woods shape, and my brush wheels are rusty, so I reckon I'd ease into'er. LOL

I gotta get all geared up (literally). I best be build'n me a couple falling saws, and ordering some proper wedges, spenders, etc.

I need a good tin hat, and a couple other little odds and ends. My corks are still good, but they're showing their age and previous time in the sticks.

Gotta get better tires on the truck too, if I'm gonna be commuting that damn far.

More prayer and discussion with my wife is in order as well. . . It sounds good to dive in head first. . . Until you break your neck on a hidden log.

LOL, you ain't helpin' Randy! Hahaha

Ya think If I show up holdin' an old Mac, the bossman will look at me funny? :hmm3grin2orange:

Just roll up with a 795 hangin on your shoulder, Copenhagen stains eh-vree-where, bare aluminum Mac-T cocked off to one side, and two salvaged anti-freeze jugs gyppo style with oil and gas

I gotta get all geared up (literally). I best be build'n me a couple falling saws, and ordering some proper wedges, spenders, etc.

I need a good tin hat, and a couple other little odds and ends. My corks are still good, but they're showing their age and previous time in the sticks.

Gotta get better tires on the truck too, if I'm gonna be commuting that damn far.

More prayer and discussion with my wife is in order as well. . . It sounds good to dive in head first. . . Until you break your neck on a hidden log.

I just found a proper trade for todays stuff :rock::rock:
lemme know if you want it, it's yours, liner is brand (and I mean just showed up from Baileys and has never been worn) new

IMG_1412.jpg

Just roll up with a 795 hangin on your shoulder, Copenhagen stains eh-vree-where, bare aluminum Mac-T cocked off to one side, and two salvaged anti-freeze jugs gyppo style with oil and gas

I got grey hair and all, but if'n I roll in there like I'm 59, he's surely gonna wanna ask me some questions. LOL

If I come packing vintage steel, I think he'd prolly tell me to tramp! :hmm3grin2orange:

I just found a proper trade for todays stuff :rock::rock:
lemme know if you want it, it's yours, liner is brand (and I mean just showed up from Baileys and has never been worn) new

IMG_1412.jpg

Well shhhheeeeeit! I ain't gonna ask for your turtle. . . Ya brought me some beer and that's good enough.

Unless that's an original Mac T. LOL

My one that I use has more.....uhhh....character, or mileage, if you will than this one does

IMG_1417.jpg

That there's a collectors item! I'll just order me a new fangled one from Baileys, put some reflective tape on her, and call her a banana.

I'd scratch that one, and feel bad for a month! :laugh:

That there's a collectors item! I'll just order me a new fangled one from Baileys, put some reflective tape on her, and call her a banana.

I'd scratch that one, and feel bad for a month! :laugh:

Hahaha, careful with the new ones, I've heard that SkullBucket quit making them and they're outsourced to Hong Kong or somewhere prolly made from Schlitz cans

Back