I need more heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you are so right wild billa blaze king is a great stove to heat with that's what I heat with the king model that bad boy will sweet you out of the house if you let it.:chainsawguy:

I wouldn't feel discouraged Gunner,look how much money you probably already saved. You just don't have an ideal setup. You have alot of options as you can see from the replies. generally small stove in basement wont heat whole(2200 sq.) home. If that stove or a larger one is in your living area it might. Reason being, most basements don't get super cold. Or wood furnace add on w/ duct to existing A/C system will heat entire home. Or owb would be great if you have access to lots of wood (IMO). Or leave stove in basement(finished space as mentioned) and add another stove in living area. Any of these options there will not be a "gas bill".

Geeze....how did I miss this one.
I would say that our Super Jack 125 could not only heat your living areas but your basement as well on 2 loads of hardwood per day.
You could get that furnace for $2249 while they are on sale plus they fall into the biomass tax credit where you could get a direct tax credit of $674 making your investment $1574.30 plus freight of around $350-$400 no tax.

As it has been mentioned youll be able to tie it into what you already have.
I understand what it means to go outside ,but you also have to think about going through half of the wood you used to go through and what that means.
Getting these long burn times also allows you to keep the wood operating 24/7.
If you choose to call me we can talk about everything.
CK
800-358-0060

Stoves are fine for heating small homes or homes in low heat load areas of the country.
If you want to heat the entire home like in northern Mn. a furnace will be required.

Last edited:
I would maximize the heat from your current wood stove and it's location first, with loading it up and using the top down burn.

Does the basement get hot? If so, maybe strategically placed vents to the main living areas would be a big help. My fireplace insert is smaller than your wood stove, is inside the heat sink fireplace to outside, yet easily heats the 1400 sf one story living area. The climate is probably not as cold here, but also the insulation is zilch. I would need to build the house over from scratch for it to be insulated well. In any case, the small insert heats the whole house well when the temp is in the mid 20's anyway, good enough for this location.

Small changes can reap big rewards. Before investing in some huge system, first I'd made sure of maximizing what you have. Then making small changes could very well overshoot what you need. A big investment could turn out to be a money, time, wood etc drain. A second wood stove in the middle of the living area would be much better than a huge furnace in the basement, also requiring less resources to maintain. Here is a link about wood furnaces, some who got them and then changed their minds.

This fellow has 2000 s/f in Wi....he has a serious heat load...not 20 degrees.
A stove just will not cut it.
He's seeing that and is tired of loading all this wood only to get short burn times without heating his whole home.
Bottom up...top down...doesn't matter how you slice it what he has is not capable of getting the job done....ergo a wood furnace.
Huge...26"x 34" is not huge.
When there is 20-30 below 0 temps he will still heat his whole home....easily.

Do you have any type of fan on your stove ? I place a small $7 fan by my stove to blow across the top of it. The room will go from 65* to 75* quick I turn the fan on. I use a timer to keep the fan runing to 2am ish. Just a thought.

This fellow has 2000 s/f in Wi....he has a serious heat load...not 20 degrees.

Well since he has a serious heat load, there's no problem, just open the windows.

Anyway, I'd rather have a wood stove than a wood furnace any day, any climate, anywhere.
Doesn't matter. People are getting along quite well in Canada with wood stoves and not wasting resources.

I grew up in Montana and Idaho where it was as cold as anywhere and no problems at all.
My Dad was from North Dakota. My grandparents and relatives have used wood stoves for as long as they remember.
We did use furnaces on occasion and they were nowhere as good, drafty, leaky, and they take a lot more work to maintain.

Free standing wood burner, I perfer a catalytic, more efficient, I heat 2300 square feet. I also added some ducting and registers to even out the heat. I am not a big fan of the oudoor boilers, not ver efficient and use a ton of wood, plus you have to go outside to feed them. Just my $.02

If I were you I would consider 2 options:
1- new freestanding woodstove on main floor (not in basement)
or
2- wood furnace(add on?) in basement

Well since he has a serious heat load, there's no problem, just open the windows.

Anyway, I'd rather have a wood stove than a wood furnace any day, any climate, anywhere.
Doesn't matter. People are getting along quite well in Canada with wood stoves and not wasting resources.

I grew up in Montana and Idaho where it was as cold as anywhere and no problems at all.
My Dad was from North Dakota. My grandparents and relatives have used wood stoves for as long as they remember.
We did use furnaces on occasion and they were nowhere as good, drafty, leaky, and they take a lot more work to maintain.

A heat load means it is cold and he needs a lot of heat....your answer was funny...thanks LOL.
So I take it all wood furnaces are drafty,leaky...more work to maintain....must not have had Yukon's then.

Pacific Energy

I put my money on a Pacific Energy step-top (non-catalytic). There's a learning curve with high-efficiency stoves, but they deliver! The best stove for the money I've ever had; uses less wood, makes less smoke and gives a lot of heat or as much as you want.

better go get some more wood. In your avatar, looks like you only got about a weeks left for your owb.

wow, how did i loose track of this thread....

in that pic, there is only about 7.5 cord, i usually burn 9 a year, you can't see the other 2/3 of the wood shed in the pic.

but that 9 cords heats DHW, 3,350 SQF house w/ radiant heat and forced air HX

wow, how did i loose track of this thread....

in that pic, there is only about 7.5 cord, i usually burn 9 a year, you can't see the other 2/3 of the wood shed in the pic.

but that 9 cords heats DHW, 3,350 SQF house w/ radiant heat and forced air HX

I'll use about the same, to heat my poorly insulated 3000 sq ft 2 story house.

Their's alot of negativity about OWB's. Folks don't want to go outside to throw wood in. Doesn't anybody fell, buck, split in the winter anymore ? I personally find it refreshing going outside in the morning and at night to get "fresh air" and load the stove. You don't get a real sense of accomplishment for all the wood processed until you're cold (outside to load OWB) and run back inside to a hot house.......

To each his own, everybody knows the good and bad for OWB's,wood furnaces,wood stoves. It all boils down to QUALITY of wood for all 3. It's all the furnace and stove owners knocking the OWB's and it's all B.S. If it doesn't work for you then comment on your own personal liking, but leave the negative comments out. There's already been a thread on this subject.

To the O.P. stay warm and do research, and above and beyond all else, have DRY WOOD ready for the cold times.

Back