I need your opinions of my Camphor Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky k

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

I have a medium sized Camphor - Cinamomum camphora (not a weed in my region, by the way). It is about 5-6' behind a cottage in my backyard, see pics. The cottage will be rebuilt soon, although I am worried about large roots being too close to the foundation.

About 20-25% of the foliage recently died off, and I have already pruned those limbs, except for the main branch that supported them. I'm wondering if anymore is about to die or if there is some disease going around for camphors.

It is directly under power line, so our local power co has already pruned it into a V shape. It has ugly vertical green branches (water shoots?) and some storm damage.

I can have much of the ugliness pruned away, but I'm still concerned about the roots being so close to my cottage, some I may have to cut when I rebuild. And will it survive much longer anyway?

I would hate to lose it's shade, but I could replace it with some nice columnar maples, say Acer rubrum 'Armstrong', further from the power lines.

What would you do? Remove it during the cottage reconstruction, or keep it and hope the whole thing doesn't die or lift up my cottage?

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back