I ported the Echo 2511T & muffler mod info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll find that many Echo's have very aggressive timing advance built in already. If it is an Echo with CDI, you may be wasting your time advancing the timing at the flywheel. But if you can sneak in a few degrees, it might help the spool up.

Other than this model, I don’t have much experience with Echos. What do you mean by CDI?

From what I’ve been told, the 2511t was in the works by Shindaiwa prior to the Echo merger. Many parts have Echo tophandle character though, like the asymmetric transfers with the single Stuffer. Not sure where that leaves us.

After hearing what @Yotaismygame says about the advance I’m doubting my measurements. I’ve had a lot of problems with that recently. It’s possible I cut 0.060” by mistake...

With two of these on my bench currently and another on the way, I better repeat my timing experiments. First advance of 0.010” was good. What I thought was 0.030” made the saw annoying to start. Better order more keys.

Finally decided to tackle the little echo saw. I really didn’t think much of the saw stock. Slow chain speed, wrong bar and chain setup when stock. Chattering was an issue. It worked fine for cutting small limbs when up in a tree but that’s about it.

Here’s the muffler part

There really isn’t much info about the muffler or porting these saws. The internet had me thinking there was a cat in this muffler. I had seen guys just bypass by drilling a hole right through the muffler. I wanted to cut the muffler in half, gut it and go from there. First I tried to grind the lip off so I could separate the three pieces but that didn’t work. So I cut the front half right off. And surprise surprise there was just a baffle that wouldn’t come out. I opted to just drill several holes in the baffle.
View attachment 782892 View attachment 782891
I then took off the stock deflector, opened it up and made a new one. Welding it back together was tough with my mig. I had to turn it all the way down and still couldn’t lay a bead with out blowing metal away. But it works...
View attachment 782893 View attachment 782894 View attachment 782895
Next time I’ll just enlarge the stock opening and cut through the baffle.

Then on to the porting ...
I think it works nicely to just drill straight through from the outlet side and just tweak the baffle some.

More words...

I changed this saw from a pruning saw to a complete arborist package. Could easily top with it now.
Also the bar and chain setup I ordered the sprocket and bar from SawAgain. The bar is a multi mount and works right out of the box. I picked up the chain from Stihl which is 68dl. The bar is 12” compared to the stock 14”. I was thinking it was 12” when I ordered the new bar. I wish I would have went with the 14”. 12” is a little short.
Its my removal / everything saw till i get to 13+ (14" x1/4 )

Back