I received a Free Husqvarna 181 - Compression 175 pounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbocaster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was just given a Husqvarna 181 with a 32 inch bar and .404 pitch chain. I used some purple cleaner and hosed it off. It has 175 pounds of compression and runs good. Something isn't right though, as the top cover doesn't match the muffler. (see bottom picture)

I'm suspicious that the top cover or muffler or both are not correct for the saw. The top cover has XP on it, which doesn't seem to match what I have seen for the 181 on Mike Acres web site. That lists models as 181 SE and 181 SG.

Also, I thought it would have a chain brake.

Any ideas about the muffler and top cover would be appreciated. I am going to take it out tomorrow to cut some Red Alder logs.

Jon

Rightsidefull.jpg

Mufflercoveroff.jpg

compression175.jpg

MufflerLeftSide.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Scooterbum,

There is a tag that says Husqvarna 181 SE on the saw. The flywheel numbers are:

501 80 22-01
AM5/120E (arrow) W506 (not sure if that is an "E" after the 120)

The serial number on the saw is 51025XX. There is a date hand scribed in the saw tag that looks like 3/21/85.

I was suspicious that the muffler and possibly the top cover were not original to the saw.

It does run well and I will give it a test in real wood tomorrow.

Jon

Scooterbum,

Thanks for the IPL!

I will see if I can buy the proper muffler and top cover. After I get it back to original shape, I'll may sell it.

For now, I want to cut some wood and see how it compares to my Husky 372XP.

Jon

The top cover looks like someone just stuck an XP sticker on it( we all know how cool that is ) and notched it to match the different exhaust outlet.

Congrats on the free saw.....That's a seriously great score!!! Those 181's really pull good!:clap:

You've got a modded muffler and what looks like a 281XP or early 288XP top cover.....Just trim the plastic back away from the "hot spot" on the LH side and use that cover.....It's what I'm running on my 181.

Scooterbum,

Did they normally come with a chain brake? The IPL shows one. I wonder if the brake was removed. I assume the chain brake was part of the side cover.

Jon

Congrats on the free saw.....That's a seriously great score!!! Those 181's really pull good!:clap:

You've got a modded muffler and what looks like a 281XP or early 288XP top cover.....Just trim the plastic back away from the "hot spot" on the LH side and use that cover.....It's what I'm running on my 181.

Awesome saw for free!

I was surprised at getting a free saw with 175 pounds of compression. The saw had not been run for 3 years, although the gas had been drained out of it. I put fresh gas in the tank and a few drops in through the spark plug hole. It fired up in about five pulls. I wish it had a compression release. ;>)

Jon

"I wish it had a compression release. ;>)"

Geez.....Ya' got an awesome Homie 3314 and your complainin' about a little ol' Husky'

Man-up dude.:jawdrop:

Nothing like advice from someone who knows nothing about the subject. No wonder this place has gone to ####.

Somebody pee in your corn flakes or what?

I don't see you contributing any thing here other then being a smartass.

Last edited:
I took the 181 Husky out today, to cut some red alder logs into firewood. I could not get it started until I put some gas down the spark plug hole. After that it started right up. It ran very well for about 15 minutes and then started missing. It felt like it wasn't getting spark consistently. I may be wrong, although it did not seem like a fuel issue.

I will check out the easy and obvious stuff like spark plug and fuel filter. The air cleaner was clean, as I ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner yesterday. I'm running fresh fuel; Chevron premium gas with Mobile 2T synthetic two cycle oil at 45:1 ratio.

Jon

jon181.jpg

Those are terrific saws, you lucked out. As far as the missing goes, there's a bunch of things it could be. Just make sure you're not running it lean. When I come into a used saw I normally give it a carb kit, a fuel line, and I check the fuel filter right off the bat. Make sure the carb stack is snug. Next time it misbehaves, pop the gas cap and retry running.. a blocked tank vent can cause a lean condition... again, bad for the saw. If you have an ignition problem (which it could be) the saw might not run right or might not run at all, but you won't hurt anything either. Speaking of the ignition, disconnect the kill switch and make sure you don't have anything grounding out... if that cleans up your problem, you've learned something important.

Either way, it sounds like a cheap fix... congrats... the 181 is a real blockbuster.

Latest posts

Back