I think my Stihl 028 needs a new bar (I did a search)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was servicing my saw because the oiler was not sending much to the bar and found some wear (low spot near spikes) so I knocked the razor edge off and flipped it, but I think this bar is almost 20 years old and it may be due.

So my question is:
My Stihl 028 uses a 063 gauge chain/bar setup 18" long. I don't know if I should stick with the 063 on the new bar or try something else for firewood and lite workload. I would like to save a few $$ in the long run on chain, but I also want quality, so should I stick with a sprocket nosed 063 Stihl or look into other brands and sizes? (sticking with 18" I guess)

Sprocket good?
What brand is best bang for buck?
What gauge saves $$ in chain over time? Or is this a performance issue (I dont want to decrease performance)

Stihl bars and chain are good stff, as are GB, Windsor, Oregon and Total bars, among others. They all get the job done and for a homeowner/occasional user, they'll all last a very long time. If you've got a Stihl dealer nearby, save yourself the hassle of hunting around and just go get your stuff from them. A Stihl Rollomatic E bar should do fine on a smaller saw like an 028, it is lighter and less expensive than its cousin the replaceable-tip Rollomatic ES. Both are sprocket-tip bars, as opposed to hardnose.

On that saw, .050 or .063 gauge .325 pitch will be fine and they both cost the same. I don't see it making much difference one way or the other in terms of performance, either. I run .063 on my 026 because that's what came on it and because most Stihl dealers I come across have that chain in stock and it is easy to get, even from half-assed dealers around here that know nothing about saws and only stock a few models and a small variety of parts. This way if by chance I need an extra loop when I'm out, my odds of finding are greater than with .050.

You may want to consider narrow-kerf .050, it requires a special bar and takes a narrower bite; it in effect frees up some HP. You can do a search on that to see the myriad opinions on that stuff. I've never seen the point since it is harder to find in shops around here, but some folks swear by it.

Stihl 028

Here are a few choices....

Drive:
Oregon Brand "Power Mate" Rim Sprocket System Part # 303384

Bar:
Oregon Brand "Power Match- Plus" 18" Part # 183RNBD025 - .325, .063

Low Kickback Combo From Oregon:
Part # 183SLGD025 18" INCLUDES LASER LITE BAR AND L.K. CHAIN .325 .063

Chain:
Stihl Brand (not low kickback) RM (Rapid Micro) Part # 3970 74 Drive links

Any of the above will work good with your saw....:greenchainsaw:

Thanks guys, that's good enough for me. I will stick with the Stihl, that really does make it easy foe me. I was just looking out for the "aww hell no, don't use that" kinda response, but it seems to be safe to stick with what came on it!

Thanks again!

BS FISH you're first "bad" post. Stihl bars are the best. Don't give me the crap about the woodsman pro being the best. Their tips are WEAK.

Fred

The general rule is that you should run the lightest gauge that will hold together. the .063 gauge is very slightly heavier. That 028, I don't know if it was running .325 or 3/8" though. My choice would be either Oregon Power Match or Stihl ES bar. If you are only an occaisonal user you could go with the Stihl E bar and it will still lasta lot longer than a laminated Oregon bar. I'd go with the Stihl 26RS chain if its 325 or 36RS if its 3/8" I also would go with the Oregon Power Mate drive sprocket and get the rima nd drum system. Both my bigger saws have this. It is really a sweet system,a nd makes sprocket change nothing to be dreaded.

fishhuntcutwood said:
HA! What about Cannon?

Those be the same bars as WP. Stihl has a far superior tip. The tip counts for alot if you bore cut in hardwoods.

Fred

Well...................... That was interesting LOL!!!!!

My .02, Husky bars seem soft, Oregon bars are weak and wear to quickly, GB bars the paint is too hard and chips right off, Stihl ES bars ROCK, but man are they pricey!!!!
Andy

Husky bars are probably oregon under the skin. Stihl is really the only company that makes their own full line of bars and chains. I've only used Pro Lite Oregon bars. The Power Match and hardnose look like quality, but I've always been impressed with Stihl's metallurgy, good on both their bars adn chains.

Back